sports water polo

IU remains perfect in CWPA

spWaterPolo

The No. 14 IU water polo team went an undefeated 4-0 during the weekend in the first set of CWPA Western Division Round Robin matches held at Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y.

In IU’s first game Saturday, the Hoosiers recorded the second most points in a single game en route to defeating Gannon 22-3.

Leading the way in the win was junior Summer Creighton, who tallied four goals, scoring more than the entire Gannon team by herself.

In the second game, IU defeated the host team, No. 19 Hartwick, 12-9. IU had three players score multiple goals. The team was led by senior attacker Shae Fournier, who scored four goals.

After the close game against Hartwick, the Hoosiers had little trouble against Marist, defeating the Red Foxes 15-3 Sunday in their early game.

IU’s defense limited Marist’s opportunities. Sophomore goalie Mary Campbell had three saves, and the Hoosier defense allowed just three goals.

In IU’s final game of the weekend, IU trampled Notre Dame 19-1 to move to 16-5 on the year. IU allowed just one goal in the fourth period and had seven
players score multiple goals.

IU is now a perfect 9-0 in CWPA play. The Hoosiers have never finished an entire season in the CWPA without a loss.

IU will next be in action in the Western Division Round Robin No. 2 next weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich., where the Hoosiers will play Gannon for the second time.

Sam Beishuizen