IU raises the bar and the wage

WE SAY: Way to set an example, IU

IU announced last week that in an effort to increase “student affordability and accessibility,” the University would be raising minimum wage for all employees from $7.25 to $8.25.

This change will go into effect starting at the beginning of the next fiscal year — July 1 — and it is expected to affect the pay of about 8,750 IU employees across the state. The increase is the first since 2009, when minimum wage was federally increased to $7.25.

It comes as a pleasant surprise, as Indiana Republicans recently shot down a Democratic bid to increase minimum wage to $8.25 statewide in January. Though the Editorial Board understands the necessity to base compensation on the value and quality of services performed, we believe that this pay increase is an overdue step in the right direction.

We believe the wage hike will be an excellent way for students to increase livability while attending classes.

With a Washington Post story last week underscoring the fact that many college students are increasingly facing food insecurity in one of the richest countries on Earth, IU’s pay increase could be a godsend for employees who need to heavily budget their spending.

This is important given that a large portion of the employees affected will be student workers, such as those under the employment of IU’s Residential Programs and Services, among other campus departments.

The wage increase will also be highly beneficial for non-student employees. Though IU students make up a great deal of the minimum-wage staff, many of the positions are filled by adult members of the Bloomington community to support themselves or their families. This dollar increase may aid them in providing, or at least in living slightly more comfortably.

The money for the pay increase will come from IU’s budget plan for next year and will cost about $900,000. Though this might seem a significant amount, the Editorial Board maintains that $900,000 is not too hefty a price.

In comparison, Assembly Hall renovations, paid for by a donation, will cost a staggering sum of $40 million.

Critics of this decision to increase minimum wage maintain that higher pay for non-specialized work is an overestimation of overall employee value.

But the Editorial Board believes that since this is a benefit to the people cooking and serving our food as well as maintaining our campuses, it is a worthwhile
expenditure.

The increase in minimum wage is certainly a decision carefully constructed with the best interests of students and the Bloomington community in mind. And if it provides the chance to help a cash-strapped person have the option to choose a healthier meal instead of a pack of Ramen, we are all for it.

opinion@idsnews.com
@ids_opinion