'Game of Thrones'

Game of Thrones

All men must die.

Or so says all the promotional advertising for the fourth season of HBO’s critically acclaimed fantasy drama, “Game of Thrones.”

And for a TV show with a body count higher than a mobster flick’s, that’s an impressively accurate tagline.

For anyone who doesn’t know Westeros from Middle Earth or Narnia, “Game of Thrones” is a sprawling fantasy epic that can best be compartmentalized as a parallel universe of “Lord of the Rings” with a lot more gore and nudity.

Except “Game of Thrones” is so much better than “Lord of the Rings.”

Its extensive cast of morally ambiguous characters and vast locations might seem daunting, especially to anyone who hasn’t read the book series by George R.R. Martin or watched the TV show since its beginning in 2011.

But anyone intimidated by the show’s colossal narrative girth is missing out on what is truly television’s best drama.

We begin with Tywin Lannister melting down the sword of the beheaded Ned Stark (remember him from season one? “Game of Thrones” likes to take its time with the plot). “The Rains of Castamere” plays, a shivering reminder to anyone who remembers the infamous Red Wedding last season.

It’s a beautiful open, a reminder that some of the best storytelling on screen these days is purely visual and requires no dialogue.

But coincidentally enough, “Game of Thrones” happens to have some of the best-written head-to-head on television.

Conversations between Jamie Lannister and his rotten nephew — actually his son, don’t ask — King Joffery or Arya Stark and her captor/protector the Hound often brim with unintentional humor and direct pathos.

Despite the ambitious locales and gorgeously slaved-over set design, it’s these exchanges that give the show its necessary X-factor.

New to the mix this year is Prince Oberyn Martell, also know as the Red Viper ­— because this is a show where one needs an easily pronounceable name when someone can’t phonetically sound out their real one.

Played by the smoldering Pedro Pascal, we’re introduced to the prince in an excellently staged brothel scene that turns you on your head the second you think you have it figured out.

Meanwhile, Daenerys Targaryen and her three teenage dragons continue to roam the desert, amassing armies and liberating cities.  Things have gone so swimmingly for Dany these last three seasons, so you’d think this may be the go round when someone presents an actual challenge to her quest for the Iron Throne.

Meanwhile, back at King’s Land, King Joffrey is still as unsufferable as ever. Fingers crossed he’s next in line to join the show’s ever-increasing body count.

“Game of Thrones” is HBO’s most successful series since “The Sopranos” for a reason.

It’s at its best when none of its characters are safe and their moral compasses continue to spin increasingly skewed.

And if this season premiere’s bloody last scene with Arya and the Hound is any indication, we’re in for a wonderfully nefarious season in the Seven Kingdoms.