Farmer's market continues SNAP program

CAROUSELentFarmersMarket

The Bloomington Community Farmers’ Market is open for spring, and its Double Market Bucks Program has returned.

The program allows customers to double their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps, money at the Farmers’ Market for up to $18 in food stamp benefits.

Market Bucks are only available in $3 increments.

“A lot of granting organizations want to give to charities,” said Karin St. John, executive director of the Bloomington Parks Foundation. “We’ve used that money to create a Friend of the Farmers’ Market Fund.”

Steve and Kathy Hockett have been selling their blueberries at the Farmers’ Market since 2010, but it wasn’t until this year that they decided to participate in the Double Market Bucks program.

“We just felt like it was a way to give back to the community,” said Steve Hockett, owner of Bloomington Blueberries.

“We’ve been so blessed in our lives with so many wonderful things that this is a small way for us to just try and give back.”

The fund helps low-income locals get access to fresh, locally grown food. The Parks and Recreation Department has a $30,000 grant this year that will go toward Market Bucks, St. John said.

“They typically use their SNAP money to buy groceries, but now they can come to the farmers’ market and buy healthy alternatives,” St. John said.

Customers can use their Market Bucks to not only buy basics like fruits, vegetables, dairy and meat, but also maple syrup, honey, jams and baked goods.

“The long-term goals of the Money Bucks program are to reduce local food insecurity, strengthen the drinks and local food economy and promote healthy lifestyles amongst SNAP customers,” Farmers’ Market master Robin Hobson said.

The fund also allows donors to better market events like the Heirloom Tomato Tasting, Soup Tasting, Salsa Contest and chef demos, according to the Parks Foundation website.

A number of vendors and farms participate in the program, including Pope Family Farm, Moon Valley Farm and Quinn Family Farm.

Last year, 76 percent of vendors reported making more money because of Market Bucks, and 68 percent of customers said they wouldn’t have come to the Farmers’ Market without them, according to the 2013 Double Market Bucks Program Annual Report.

“I guess this time of year I was probably getting five to 10 customers a week using Money Bucks,” said Dan McCullough, owner of McCullough Farms.

“That’ll probably increase as the summer goes on and more people come to the market and so on.”

McCullough said not only did Market Bucks help his farm increase its sales, but they were also important in accommodating customers he’s had for years.

The Farmers’ Market, located at Eighth and Morton streets, is open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Saturday through September.

Saturday the market will be host to Asianfest, a cultural program that will include performances, cooking demonstrations and activities such as calligraphy and henna.

“(Market Bucks) is an excellent program for the people who need it and use it,” said Melinda Pope, owner of Pope Family Farm.

“I think they’re going to get a lot better, healthier food definitely at the local market.”