Drinking during Little 500

This past weekend, dozens of teams representing various fraternities, sororities and independent groups gathered at Bill Armstrong Stadium to race for pole position for the Little 500 bike race in April.

Also this past weekend, dozens of fraternities, sororities and off-campus living units gathered in the wee hours of the morning to get hammered and pass out before the sun even came up, while the bikers representing them race before a basically empty stadium.

The drinking culture at this school is well-known on and off campus.
We have a reputation of being one of the top party schools in the nation, be it by actual statistics or statements of false pride.

I’ve never been bothered by this in the past. Whether drinking is or isn’t your thing is a personal decision. I don’t take offense either way.

But it’s heartbreaking when teams full of students who have trained through one of the worst winters in Indiana’s history push themselves to their physical limits to represent a group well, and members of the group don’t even show up in
support.

I can’t stand the excuse of drinking to blur the line between right and wrong.
Obviously, Little 500 is known as “The World’s Greatest College Weekend” for more than just biking. It’s a cool concept that an entire campus comes together in celebration of making it through another year of hard classes and boring lectures for the amazing event that is the actual bike race.

But when it comes to pre-race activities like qualifications, I don’t understand why it’s viewed as more of a personal victory to not make it to the race because you’re wasted.

It comes down to the culture created here that never seems to change. It’s not clear when enough will be enough.

For most, drinking is just as much a part of the college experience as ramen noodles and failing your first accounting test.

But not when it means watching your fellow classmates be visibly disappointed when they finish their run at quals and turn to see maybe half of their intended supporters actually show up.

“Drink responsibly” applies to many more situations that just getting behind the wheel.

Take this year’s Little 500 to really drink responsibly. Make it to the track to see what the week-long rager is really about.

Support those who make the event possible, especially the kids in helmets. Be responsible enough to have an unforgettable Little 500 — be it your first or last — by both living it up and showing up.

cnmcelwa@indiana.edu