Caughlin, Craig take Miss-N-Out titles

MissnOut

Caughlin wins her first individual crown
Emma Caughlin already had a Little 500 title and a Team Pursuit victory for Teter Quad, but something was missing.

Despite her team success, the senior Teter rider had never won an individual Spring Series event heading into this year.

After finishing in fourth place in Individual Time Trials, Caughlin said she was slightly disappointed. But after outsprinting Chi Omega’s Aryn Doll and Alpha Chi Omega’s Kelsey Tharnstrom on the final lap of Miss-N-Outs, Caughlin had her individual crown.

“I couldn’t win ITTs, so I had to win something,” Caughlin said. “This just feels awesome winning because I hadn’t gotten an individual one.”

The top-seeded Doll started the last lap leading the pack with Tharnstrom right behind and Caughlin drafting behind her.

Exiting the second turn, Tharnstrom pulled to the outside of Doll. Caughlin saw Tharnstrom make the move and followed suit, and the two sped passed Doll.

“I knew I had to take Kelsey’s wheel going into turn three,” Caughlin said. “And then I knew exactly what I had to do.”

Entering turn three, Caughlin — who says she is a poor sprinter — made a power move to edge beside Tharnstrom.

Coming off turn three and into the final stretch, Caughlin pulled ahead of Tharnstrom at the line to capture the win.

“I didn’t know I could do it, really,” Caughlin admitted. “I never had to sprint in that position before, so that was a little exciting. I’m just happy for the team.”

ITT winner Craig continues winning ways

Beta Theta Pi’s Chris Craig had already proven himself as one of the field’s fastest riders with his ITT victory.

After sweeping the individual events with a Miss-N-Out win Saturday, Craig helped reaffirm that he and his Beta Theta Pi team are serious about defending their Little 500 title.

Craig was able to outsprint Delta Tau Delta’s Paul Smith and Sigma Phi Epsilon’s Thomas Wimmer. Craig had the lead going into the final lap, moved to the inside lane of the track at Bill Armstrong Stadium and never gave up his position.

“Lesson learned today is how important it is to stay on that inside line,” Craig said. “It’s critical. I was able to do that throughout all my heats, and I think that contributed to my success today.”

Craig had the lead at the beginning of the final lap with Smith following in close pursuit. Smith was able to close in to the back of Craig’s wheel as he was pulling, but failed to get alongside him until the riders were heading into the closing stretch.

Coming out of the fourth turn, Smith pulled to the outside of Craig, and the drag race to the line was on.

Smith managed to get alongside Craig, but at the line the top-seeded Craig was able to squeak out the win by less than a wheel length.

“To beat guys like Paul Smith, to beat guys like some of the top Black Key Bulls guys — I’m ecstatic to be in this position,” Craig said. “I’m honored to be considered one of the top bikers on campus here, and Miss-N-Outs today has really helped me gain inner confidence.

“But going forward, I know it’s going to be tough. There are a lot of talented riders out there for the race.”