Union Board passes budget for Little 500 concert

CAROUSELcaLittle500

Union Board announced Thursday that it has passed the budget for this year’s Little 500 concert.

Union Board is not able to disclose information regarding the determined budget dollar amount, as they are currently in negotiations with several artists.

Mike Zak, the director of music for Union Board, said his committee has been in contact with agents since planning began.

“I have to begin conversations with agents as early as possible so I can begin negotiating offers,” he said. “In order to create the budget, I need to know how much we need to include for total artist fees. I also need to know how much total artist fees are so I can appropriately set ticket prices and have an estimate of total gross box office revenue.”

Planning for the concert began last November. During the past months, the Union Board Music Committee worked on organization and planning of the event.

Zak wrote the budget proposal, which was presented to the Budgetary Affairs Committee last Monday to ensure that the numbers align correctly with all of their funds.

Once that passed, Zak presented to the Board of Directors of Union Board. Eighteen directors could vote.

“I talk numbers about different scenarios, talk about worse case scenarios, best case scenarios and negotiation tactics,” Zak said. “They make a decision from there if they want to pass it or not.”

Zak is one of two people who have replaced what used to be a singular position, the concerts director for Union Board.

The responsibilities of the concerts director and director of music and live entertainment were split this year.

The director of music oversees the Little 500 concert and is responsible for holding concerts at Alumni Hall and Dunn Meadow throughout the year.

Brett Bassock, director of live entertainment, and his committee plan and organize the Welcome Week concert and other shows at the IU Auditorium.

“We can be more efficient, and be effective assets to each other,” Zak said.

The budget is made up of marketing expenses and production costs. Within marketing, money goes toward print, radio and television advertising, as well as other broadcast production.

The production costs make up a large portion of the total expenses, Zak said. They are factored in on the day of the show.

Funds come from student activity fees, as well as Union Board’s partnership with the IU Auditorium and a third party concert promoter.

Last year, 7,200 students attended the Little 500 Macklemore concert. Tickets cost between $25 and $45.

Zak said he hopes that this year’s Little 500 concert sells out. The seating capacity in Assembly Hall, where the concert will take place, is 17,472.

Grace Palmieri