Punch Brothers perform at BCT

entPunchBrothers

The Punch Brothers were welcomed by a hearty applause and an “Ahoy!” from the crowd as they took the stage Tuesday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

In light of their latest EP, titled “Ahoy!,” lead vocalist and mandolinist Chris Thile responded with a just-as-hearty “Ahoy!” before beginning their set.

The New York City-based quintet performed to a sold-out crowd at 8 p.m. Tickets were $35.

Their identity as a mixed-genre group comes from their sound, combining string-band pop flare and heavy bluegrass undertones. Each musician, in addition to playing with the quintet, works on individual projects and other collaborations.

The group, formed in 2007, has come a long way in seven years. From their debut album, “Punch,” in 2008, to Bonnaroo in 2010, to their song “Dark Days” appearing on the Hunger Games soundtrack in 2012, the Punch Brothers brought their sound to Bloomington last night as part of its March tour.

The BCT was host to the group as well as Aoife O’Donovan, who released her debut album “Fossils” in June.

The show opened with a fresh set by O’Donovan. The young singer-songwriter is traveling with the group during their March tour.

After a brief intermission, the Punch Brothers opened with a cover of “Another New World” by Josh Ritter, and followed with their original “This Girl.” In addition to Thile, the band featured a variety of instruments including banjo, bass and violin. Combined, the rhythms created a modern bluegrass sound that filled the crowded theater.

The show’s set list included songs from the group’s most recent album “Who’s Feeling Young Now?” released February 2012. The album was a break from the group’s previous tracks and offered a more accessible sound, as cited on the group’s website.

“We saw the Punch Brothers as an opener at the IU auditorium a couple years ago,” audience member Christine Geary said.

Described as “some of the most exhilaratingly direct, sonically daring performances the group has ever recorded” on the group’s website, “Who’s Feeling Young Now?” displays the versatility of the maturing musicians.

The group continues its tour tonight in Madison, Wisc.

“When we saw they were coming back to Bloomington, we had to go,” Geary said. “We couldn’t miss them.”