student life

LGBT international group creates safe space

A new campus group is trying to alleviate the difficulty international students might experience when coming out because of cultural boundaries.

The LGBT International Group at IU is just getting started, and does not have an official name yet.

“It’s important to create a space for international students of any concern to enhance the variety of things the international services already provide,” said Doug Bauder, director of IU Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Student Support Services. “LGBT issues in other cultures is getting more publicity today, and we need a safe space to discuss some of these problematic issues.”

Isolation is the reason for the group’s formation, Bauder said.

He said several international students visiting GLBT SSS felt alienated because they feel they can’t be open about their sexuality in other groups at IU.

Saul Blanco, co-leader of the group, said problems still arise even though the United States is a much safer place for students to be open and explore their sexuality.

“International students who identify with LGBT issues may come from places where it’s not as nice and open as the U.S. might be,” Blanco said. “When they come here, even though the U.S. is more friendly, they still are struggling with the issues because
they were raised in a place where it’s not.”

As of right now, the group doesn’t know if it will be a social group, support group or something else. Blanco said the group will focus on what students say they want and need.

Tao Liu, another co-leader of the group, said she wants to see the group form into a community.

“I want to create a safe, supportive community for international students who identify as LGBTQ or are allies, so we can have a safe environment without being judged,” she said.

She said the group hopes to make students more understanding and accepting of each other.

“I hope this group makes the campus diverse in terms of not just different groups of people being here, but facilitating interaction between different groups of people,” Liu said. “I want everyone to feel comfortable to be who they are and feel safe here, but especially LGBT international students.”

The group will meet 5 to 7 p.m. March 28. The location of the meeting is yet to be announced.

All students, international or not, are welcome to attend. Blanco said confidentiality is a high priority.

Liu said she hopes people aren’t afraid to attend the group, but realizes it’s not always easy to cross culture boundaries.

“In a lot of cultures, there’s a strong orientation of homophobia,” Liu said. “A lot of times that’s due to unfamiliarity with LGBT. I want people to have an open mind and get to know these people. Don’t be afraid.”