Don't vote, don't complain

As far as the political world goes, you generally can’t get more boring than a midterm election year. At least, that’s how voters seem to feel.

In Indiana, voter turnout in 2012 was at 58 percent, and in 2010 it was 41 percent. Generally, midterm elections’ lack of allure is blamed for the low turnout.

During presidential years, many people are excited and invested in the races. The nation’s highest office is on the line, and the difference between candidates like Mitt Romney and Barack Obama is staggeringly obvious.

In midterm election years, one-third of the United States Senate seats and all U.S. House of Representatives seats are elected. Additionally, one-third of Indiana Senate seats and all Indiana House of Representatives seats are up for grabs.

This year, only three statewide positions are up for election ­­— secretary of state, treasurer and state auditor.

This weekend, the College Democrats of Indiana organized a dinner at IU. Democratic candidate for secretary of state Beth White and candidate for state auditor Michael Claytor spoke at the dinner. White admonished current Secretary of State Connie Lawson for restricting the voting rights of students and other groups in the state of Indiana.

Lawson pushed through a bill during her tenure as a state senator that limited early voting and has supported bills to limit out-of-state students from voting here in Indiana.

Claytor mentioned how the state of Indiana managed to lose more than half a billion in taxpayer dollars in 2012 by misplacing funds. He also stated that, if elected, he’d be the first Certified Public Accountant to hold the position of state auditor.

When candidates are debating issues such as these, which directly affect students like us on a daily basis, it’s our job to listen. And when we fail to do so, we not only hurt ourselves, but we hurt our communities, our state and our society.

In midterm years, it’s obvious to me that Democrats need to work just as hard, perhaps harder, to get people to the polls. Though the offices of secretary of state, treasurer and auditor may not be “sexy,” they are important.

Young voters in particular need to understand that offices here in Indiana affect everything from taxes to education to how you vote in the next elections. That’s why I love seeing groups, from the IU College Democrats to the College Democrats of Indiana to the Democratic Party, continuing to push to get young voters out to the polls.

We may need to push harder than we are currently, but students need to take initiative and start shaping their own future. In order to create the Indiana that you want, you need to get out to the polls and let your voice be heard.

There’s nothing more shameful than those who don’t vote but complain about how politics aren’t going the way they want.

If you don’t vote, don’t complain. Get involved or go home.  

ajguenth@indiana.edu