education

Schools pursue new program accreditation

Three elementary schools in the Monroe County Community School Corporation are pursuing the idea of becoming International Baccalaureate schools.

Childs, University and Templeton Elementary schools are gathering information about the IB program.

A total of 3,720 IB schools are located in 147 countries across the world, with 33 IB schools currently in Indiana.

“Our curriculum represents the best from many different countries rather than the exported national system of any one,” according to the IB website.

“Our challenging Diploma Programme assessment is recognized by the world’s leading universities. We maintain our high standards by actively training and supporting teachers, and by authorizing and evaluating IB World Schools.”

The IB program is divided into four smaller programs for students ages 3-19.

Templeton Principal Donald Carver said the school is still in the investigative process right now, but he said becoming an IB school would be an honor.

“It comes with great recognition,” he said.

Carver said the IB process could take up to four years to implement and for the school to become accredited.

He said if the staff and parents of Templeton are invested in becoming an IB school, then they would apply for candidacy.

To apply for candidacy, a school must complete an application and gather supporting documents.

Through the application, the school must show they have taken measures and developed a plan for becoming an IB school.

The school would also eventually undergo a Verification Visit to ensure it is meeting the requirements to become an IB school.

School heads and coordinators reported about an eight out of ten for curriculum satisfaction 2009 through 2012, according to the IB website.

Carver said there are a limited number of IB schools in the United States that are public. Carver said if Templeton became an IB school, the curriculum would incorporate a world language component.

The curriculum would still follow Indiana Academic Standards and the students will still be tested. Carver said he likes that a new curriculum would add global and diversity aspects.

“All schools are constantly looking for ways to grow and evolve,” Carver said.

Sydney Murray