Greeks dress in drag to support GLBTSSS

CAROUSELDrag for a Cause

Fifteen dancing drag queens and kings wooed a crowd of more than 150 at the Indiana Memorial Union on Tuesday night.

It was the night Sigma Phi Beta fraternity presented its second-annual Drag For a Cause philanthropy event.

CeeCee Marie won top drag queen, and Ryder Harter was named the top drag king.

Last year, funds from the event went toward the Indiana Youth Group, a safe house for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth in Indianapolis.

This year, all the proceeds went to the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services office, but the event is more than a fundraiser.

Its goal is also to promote a better understanding of drag, Sigma Phi Beta philanthropy chair Angel Barraza said.

“I think the nature of this sort of art is the underbelly of society,” Barraza said. “People are typically frightened of what they don’t know. We want to show how great drag is as an awesome, all-encompassing form of art.”

Barraza said the fraternity said it also wants to educate people of their existence as an LGBT fraternity on campus, particularly their presence within greek society.

“Traditionally, greek life is a homophobic place,” Barraza said. “We stand as a queer and allied fraternity as a powerful message that it’s OK to do anything you want to do. Want to wear heels, a clown nose or a wig? You have complete permission to do that.”

Sydny Bohuk said the fraternity is needed to help peoples’ lives.

“Especially in Indiana, we need to show support for those kids who don’t hear acceptance,” Bohuk said. “By telling our stories, we’re saying, ‘Come join us. We’re your new family and you can come to us.’”

Barraza and Bohuk said they felt watching and performing in drag helps them express who they truly are, and helps them keep in touch with their femininity as well as their masculinity.

“Drag helps me respect my feminity and fierceness,” Bohuk said. “It lets me go against the way I have to act in society because of heteronormatives. Otherwise I’d be bottled up.”

Barraza has never performed in drag, but for the event he wore six-inch heels.

“I feel more masculine than I ever have probably in my whole life,” Barraza said. “It has helped me find my own masculinity, and what it means to be a man. Now I’m walking around in the Union at a Big Ten feeling masculine.”

The fraternity wants to attract all kinds of people, Barraza said, even those who haven’t experienced drag or don’t believe they will enjoy it.

“You’ve never seen anything like it,” Buhok said. “Come to a drag show. We’ll dance for you, we’ll sing for you, come be a drag queen yourself.”

President of Sigma Phi Beta and event judge Brendon McGrayel said the chapter also puts on a drag show because it’s popular and helps them raise money for charity.

“Drag is an essential part of gay subculture,” McGrayel said, “But a lot of people like it so it gets money for sure. Drag show and the GLBTSSS fit together. It just makes sense.”

After all the contestants performed, the winning queen and king from 2013 each performed a final song and dance before the winners of the night’s competition were announced.

Only first prizes were awarded.

Barraza said he is excited for this event in the future because of its ability to help students find themselves.

“Most people never feel fully confident in themselves until they’re 50 or 60, and that’s 50 or 60 years too late,” Barraza said. “The most important thing I’ve learned from this event is that everyone has the inherent permission to be themselves.”