student life

Event encourages safe sex

CAROUSELcaCupcakesandCondoms3

A long line formed in front of the Indiana Memorial Union’s Frangipani Room Wednesday, full of people ready for cupcakes and a lesson about
condoms.

IU Health Center’s Health and Wellness education program and Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky organized the informative event “Cupcakes and Condoms” to encourage a positive attitude toward condoms and safe sex.

Cupcakes were provided for everyone. The event was created and conducted by Planned Parenthood educator and trainer Jasmine Utterback.

“The primary goal for ‘Cupcakes and Condoms’ is to encourage condom use and discuss topics that students don’t have enough information on,” Utterback said. “There are so many important things we wanted to talk about, since sometimes younger individuals engage in sexual activity without being heavily informed.”

The event consisted of various interactive and educational stations.

At some stands, IU Health professionals informed students on topics such as the history of and myths about condoms, the value of lubricants and female condoms.
“Most people in this age group have probably never seen or are aware of female condoms,” Utterback said. “There are a lot of important guidelines about protection used for activities like oral sex.”

There were also interactive exercises like touch-and-feel condom displays with instructions about the processes of putting on and working a condom with the help of lubricant.

Each stand gave away different brands of condoms for students to test. All of the condoms were donated to IU by Planned Parenthood.

Workers at the stands encouraged lubricant use over oils, since it usually prevents condom breakage and offers more pleasure in sexual intercourse.

“Condoms have a 98 percent rate of effectiveness, so the breakage is mostly because of improper fit,” IU Health and Wellness worker Pat Nagel said.

The event included informative games at some of the select stations to further test students’ knowledge of the sizes, types and textures of condoms from all over the world.

“You really want the right-sized condom and the right lubricant in order to be safe and responsible when it comes to being sexually engaged,” Nagel said.

Follow reporter
Anthony Broderick
on Twitter
@aebrodakirck.