men's basketball

Column: It can't happen again

CAROUSELspIUBB

As the old adage goes, lightning doesn’t strike the same place twice.

This saying applies to IU and Northwestern. But instead of lightning, the adage should say “an abysmal offensive performance that set basketball back 40 years can’t strike twice.”

It doesn’t have as good a ring to it, but it’s true.

When Northwestern came to Assembly Hall on Jan. 18 and beat IU 54-47, I was surprised.

I was surprised not with how well the Wildcats played, but instead with how bad the Hoosiers were.

I mean, IU missed a total of 49 shots. They were a downright horrid 25 percent from the field. It was the worst offensive performance by far for the Hoosiers this year.

Sophomore guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell must have left his Superman cape at the dry cleaners. The usually good Ferrell was 2-for-14 from the field for just nine points.

That was the only conference game where Ferrell has scored single-digit points. In fact, that’s the only time Ferrell has scored fewer than 14 points in Big Ten play.

The point is, Ferrell is really good at scoring points. He won’t have another 2-of-14 game against Northwestern.

Freshman guard Stanford Robinson played only 11 minutes in the first meeting. Even though he’s been struggling lately on the offensive end, Robinson is still a great perimeter defender.

Robinson, in addition to Ferrell, should do a better job of shutting down the backcourt of Tre Demps and Drew Crawford.

The Wildcat backcourt combined for 32 points on 13-of-27 shooting.

Freshman sensation Noah Vonleh had a monster game. He had 17 points and 12 rebounds. The Wildcats didn’t have an answer for Vonleh.

But he was pretty inefficient. Vonleh was only 5-of-15 from the field. For a big man, he should be a little better. Expect the Hoosiers to dump the ball inside more to Vonleh, and see him convert more of his opportunities this time around.

Look, I’m not saying every Hoosier has to have a Yogi vs. Michigan game — Ferrell went 7-of-8 from three en route to a dazzling 27 points in case you forgot. The Hoosiers just have to be average to beat Northwestern.

Neither team has been playing well lately. IU has lost three straight games. And Northwestern has lost four straight after winning five of seven conference games in the middle of the season.

In this battle of potential National Invitations Tournament teams, it won’t be the best who wins.

The key will be who can be the most average.

And IU’s average is better then Northwestern’s average. I think.

In the first matchup, IU played well below their average. In fact, the Hoosiers were horrible.

The IU coaches will adjust the game plan, and the terrific tandem of Ferrell and Vonleh won’t go a combined 7-for-29 again. They just can’t.

IU will get off the schneid and pick up its second road win of the season.

Prediction: IU 62, Northwestern 51

Evan Hoopfer is 9-6 in predictions this year.

Follow columnist Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer.