men's basketball

Column: A collapse for the ages

When Jeremy Hollowell’s free throw went through the net with three minutes and 19 seconds remaining, giving IU the 64-53 lead, there was one thing on my mind.

“Wow, I have a chance to get my prediction of IU-68, Penn State-55 pretty darn close.”
Then that thing happened.

That thing was an unbelievable, train wreck of a collapse by the IU men’s basketball team. 

I watched the whole game. I swear I was there. But as Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell’s desperation, off-balance jumper went careening off the rim and Penn State (13-12, 4-8) knocked off IU (14,10, 4-7), 66-65, I couldn’t believe the final result.

I’m still not sure how IU fell to Penn State. The reasons why IU should have won outweighed why they should have lost.

There were zero ties. And only one lead change happened — with 6.1 seconds remaining. IU led for 39 minutes and 54 seconds of the game.

The Hoosiers shot a fantastic 51 percent from the field. Penn State shot a mediocre 40.7 percent.

IU held Penn State guard D.J. Newbill to just seven points on 3-of-12 shooting. Coming into the game, Newbill was leading the Big Ten in scoring.

Only one Hoosier had a “bad” game. Evan Gordon went 1-of-6 from the field for four points. Even though Ferrell wasn’t shooting at a great clip (4-of-13), he still finished with 16 points.

IU was in control the whole game, but Penn State was lurking just on the edge of contention.

And in the final two minutes and 25 seconds of the game, the lurking Nittany Lions attacked the suddenly lethargic Hoosiers. Penn State ended the game on an 11-1 run and put one more nail in the coffin of IU’s dreams of dancing in March.

All the credit has to be given to Penn State. They were ferocious. They didn’t quit. IU turned the ball over again and again trying to inbound the ball.

And guard Tim Frazier was magnificent. The 23-year-old senior made a beautiful move to the rim, alluding the Hoosier defense to give Penn State their first lead of the game with 6.1 seconds remaining.

It was a mighty good time to take your first lead of the game.

I have a confession. If you’re reading this for a breakdown of X’s and O’s, I have bad news for you.

I have no idea what happened.

I know the 20 turnovers sure didn’t help. But as the final two minutes and 25 seconds unfolded, there was a thought that kept recurring in my mind.

And I hate this certain thought, because it’s the easy way out. It takes no intellect to say and even less to write. But for the final two mintues and 25 seconds of the Penn State-IU game, it was true.

Penn State wanted it more.

That’s it. That’s the explanation.

Sure, Penn State was great in denying when IU tried to inbound the ball. But IU players weren’t scrapping and clawing to get open.

And, sure, Penn State hit a couple threes. But IU was a step slow in closing out on defense.

Until IU plays with consistent intensity for 40 minutes, this program can’t take a step forward.

The Hoosiers have to want to get better. When they make that choice, this talented team could do some scary things.

Until then, the only scary thing this team can do is blow an 11-point lead with three minutes and 19 seconds remaining in a basketball game.

Follow columnist Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer