Cardinal's 'Pippi' to open

entPippi

Cardinal Stage Company may introduce a new generation to the imagination and wonder of “Pippi Longstocking” with its premiere of the show Saturday at the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center.

“Pippi Longstocking” is a musical theater production based on a series of books by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren.

The series follows a young red-haired girl as she teaches her friends the value of creativity and imagination.

“She was a breakthrough female character when there wasn’t a lot of them,” director Randy White said. “She is a character that is about living life to the fullest and
challenging rules.”

White said parents tell him they are excited to introduce their kids, especially daughters, to a character like Pippi.

Seventeen different performances are scheduled from March 1 to 16.

“In today’s day and age where kids get pulled into computers or phones, it’s important to go back to that idea of being able to find the simplest of objects and just play,” choreographer Diane Buzzell said. “It brings kids back to a simpler time.”

To get kids to attend the production, Cardinal Stage Company underwrites about 50-80 percent of the cost of tickets so that schools can bring students during
the day.

In addition, about 600 to 800 tickets are donated to service organizations that can’t otherwise afford to bring children.

Because of this, White estimated more than 1,000 kids will see the show.
Once the kids are at the production, the hardest part is keeping their attention, he said.

“Kids are sore audiences,” White said. “They will tell you if something is not working for them. You have to keep them engaged at all times, or you will lose them. And when you lose them, you can rarely get them back.”

For the choreography, Buzzell said it’s all about keeping it simple.

“It has to be very clear, the story you are trying to tell,” she said. “It’s not necessarily easier to do, it just has to be simpler.”

Much of the movements Buzzell created have to do with making Pippi look out of control and carefree but keeping it as natural as possible.

Despite the challenges, Cardinal Stage Company sees the immense benefits theater has for children, Buzzell said.

“I think that live theater for children broadens their horizons,” Buzzell said. “It helps them see the world from a different seat in the stadium of life. Having as many experiences of different characters as possible only helps them grow as human beings.”

Follow Alison Graham on Twitter @AlisonGraham218