politics

Bills to watch: Restrictions on tanning for minors and state curriculum changes

SB 50: Minors and tanning devices
This bill would prohibit children younger than 16 from getting that machine-made, golden tan before prom.

If the bill passed, it would eliminate the law that requires those younger than 16 to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. The new law would ban these individuals from using tanning devices at all.

Children under 18 years old will still be required to have the permission of a parent or guardian to use tanning devices.

Tanning facility owners would also be required to prominently display a sign on their business clearly visible to visitors, indicating that kids 16 and younger would not be allowed to use tanning devices.

Status: After passing the Senate 30-17, the House of Representatives referred it to the
Public Health Committee after first reading. The committee hearing has not yet been scheduled.

Authors: Sen. Patricia Miller, R-Indianapolis, Sen. Ed Charbonneau, R-Valparaiso and Sen. Sue Landske, R-Cedar Lake

Sponsors: Rep. Dennis Zent, R-Angola

SB 113: School curriculum

This bill would ensure reading is on the list of required curricula at public and accredited private schools in Indiana.

It would also require elementary schools to teach cursive writing to students.

Although neither of these subjects has been required by state law before, other similar subjects have, including English, grammar, composition, speech and second languages.

Status: Referred to the House Education committee after passing the Senate 39-9.

Authors: Sen. Jean Leising, R-Oldenburg, Sen. Dennis Kruse, R-Auburn and Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel

Sponsor: Rep. Rhonda Rhoads, R-Corydon

Follow reporter Michael Auslen on Twitter @MichaelAuslen