Wilson announces Coffman will transfer

IU Coach Kevin Wilson announced today via the team Twitter account that junior quarterback Cam Coffman will transfer from IU.

Coffman was the third-string quarterback this year, sitting behind redshirt sophomore Tre Roberson and sophomore Nate Sudfeld on the depth chart.

“Nate and Tre have come...and he’s the odd man out,” Wilson said in the video. “I want him to stay, but he’s wanting to leave.”

It was not announced what school Coffman will transfer to. He has one year left of eligibility, so he can play his senior year at the new school.

“We’re going to hopefully find a good spot (for Coffman),” Wilson said. “For him to have some on-field success.”

Coffman came to IU after transferring from Arizona Western Community College. He was the backup heading into the 2012 season before Roberson broke his leg in the second game of the season against Massachusetts. Roberson was sidelined for the rest of the year with the injury.

Coffman took over at quarterback and averaged 249 passing yards per game, throwing 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He had a 60.7 percent completion rate in 10 starts.

His 2,734 passing yards were the fourth most in the program’s 129-year history.

However, Coffman was buried in the team’s depth chart this year. He threw only 29 total passing yards and played in just three games during the 2013 campaign.

“He’s had some success here,” Wilson said. “But we want him to finish strong.”

--Evan Hoopfer