More vouchers, more problems

Indiana is having education problems again.

A recent article in the Indianapolis Star asserts the state’s voucher program has doubled to extend to 19,809 students — most of whom have never attended public school.

Roughly 40 percent of students, or 7,800 children, received vouchers for the 2013-14 school year but were not enrolled in Indiana’s public schools, according to RTV6.

The voucher program is a convoluted argument and has truly been through the wringer.
At its core, I don’t think the voucher system is harmful, but it is when abused.

David Dresslar, executive director of the University of Indianapolis’ Center of Excellence in Leadership of Learning, claimed the 5,225 new students added to the voucher program last year was a slippery slope. And I agree.

The most disheartening aspect of this whole issue is, based on this data and extending its trends, we’re completely giving up on public schools and all of their employees.

In previous legislation regarding vouchers, the Star reports students were only eligible if they completed two semesters of public school and were from families with annual incomes “at up to 150 percent of the free or reduced lunch level,” meaning about $65,000 for a family of four.

At least the previous legislation was much more strict on having students attend public school for a year. With this clause gone for many, Indiana seems to be leaving public schools to die by the wayside.

This oversimplifies the problem, but it comes down to the adage of how can you not like it if you’ve never tried it.

Although it costs less for the state to give a student a voucher than to fund a student in public schools, continuing to hand away vouchers with no real intent or standards will reverse this.

Even though the state spent $36 million on vouchers last year, it technically saved $4.9 million in the process, according to the Star.

But as the system takes on more students, the savings have not had the same growth spurt.

The more students we throw into the voucher system, the more we clog the machine and have the potential to lose money.Another timely argument is that the voucher system is continuing to eliminate the middle class.

We’re at a point where everyone is talking about economic inequality and how President Barack Obama affects this struggle. But let’s think about the educational caste system we’re creating.

As the voucher system grows, the educated middle class shrinks.

There will always be students in the public school system, but now more suburban students are making their way out of public schools and into private ones.

Instead of trying to meet in the middle, we’re dividing the haves from the have-nots.
All this does is essentially negate what vouchers wanted to do in the first place.

­— sjostrow@indiana.edu
Follow columnist
Sam Ostrowski on Twitter
@ostrowski_s_j.