Campus groups make resolutions

caResolutionPortraits

With the start of the new year comes the next round of resolutions, and this year IU campus organizations are joining in the tradition.

Forbes magazine, however, reports that of the 40 percent of Americans who make resolutions, only 8 percent go on to achieve them.

Perhaps these failures are why campus organizations like Campus Recreational Sports, the Academic Support Centers and the IU Panhellenic Association are focusing on continuous goals instead of year-long resolutions.

As students try to meet their health and wellness goals, the Student Recreational Sports Center and the Wildermuth Intramural Center are piled full of people.

“Both the Wildermuth and the SRSC were really hopping tonight,” said director of the Division of Campus Recreational Sports Kathy Bayless of the turnout on Jan. 16.

IURS encompasses IURS, the SRSC and the WIC. In years past, the spring semester has brought in an average of 4,000 visits a day to IURS, Bayless said.

This is approximately 800 more visits per day than in the fall semester. The busiest month is February before spring break. Last year’s average was 4,935 visits per day that month.

IURS expects nothing less this spring, Bayless said.

To help beginners, RS is providing kickoff promotions during peak hours to inform students what their student fee covers.

“We recognize that we will have a lot of new and possibly inexperienced members in the facilities at the start of the year,” Bayless said.

The promotion also gives students the chance to try out programs that usually have fees.

Director of Academic Support Centers Leslie Robinson said that in regards to academics, support centers are open to feedback from students about what they would like to see this year.

For any students who made goals to do better academically, Robinson said she highly encourages they come to the ASCs as soon as they open next Tuesday for best results.

“The earlier they get in, the sooner they can build relationships with a tutor,” Robinson said.

The IU Panhellenic Association also has a few goals.

The council hopes to continue its commitment to excellence in sisterhood, scholarship and service, PHA Vice President of Communications Leila Palizi said.

In response to last semester’s alcohol-related death and recent regulations on hard liquor at fraternities, PHA hopes to shift the culture of IU greek life.

The PHA  is considering more rules and working closely with the Interfraternity Council, Palizi said.

“I do believe IU’s greek community has strayed from the values-based aspect of greek life,” she said. “We’re trying to shift the culture, and if that takes rules to shift, then that’s what we’re going to have to do.”

Another new strategy the council hopes to use this year is to serve with hands and feet instead of just money, she said.

“The incoming executive board wants to help implement service projects where we go out and actually help and be with those in need,” Palizi said. “We want to be active participants instead of just sending money.”

Follow reporter Suzanne Grossman on Twitter @suzannepaige6.