arts exhibits

Local photo club shows work

entPhotographyClub

Downtown Bloomington’s art studio gallery406 will unveil on Friday its holiday show, which consists of more than 26 photographs from Bloomington’s Photography Club.

The gallery opening was originally scheduled for last weekend, but due to weather, it was rescheduled for this weekend.

Every photo selected had to be original and couldn’t have been previously featured in an exhibit or show.

“Me and three of my other co-workers were presented with over 80 different submitted framed photographs that we needed to select to be in the show,” gallery worker and photographer Kendall Reeves said.

“Selecting and narrowing down the best out of the hurtle of pictures was difficult, but we managed to finalize 26 photographs from 22 artists for the gallery.”

The Bloomington Photography Club is an organization that explores many different forms of imagery, ideas and knowledge to promote interest in photography throughout the community, exhibitions and events.

According to the website, bloomingtonphotoclub.org, the club’s main goal is to explore the correlation between the eye, camera and spirit with the encouragement of artistic and technical growth.

Every photo on display represents different topics, such as architectural buildings, forestry scenery, contemporary public places and old miscellaneous items.

The exhibit contains photographs from well-known photographers from Bloomington such as Jeff Schemmer, Bobbie Walker, James Haverstock and Carol Koetke.

The photos are framed and cropped by the photographers themselves and being sold to anyone interested. Pieces range from $100 to $350.

The local club is the largest of its kind in Indiana, and most members have spent all year trying to capture different photographs from all over the world.

“The range of subjects and photographic styles is sure to capture the eye of any viewer and please their heart,” Reeves said.