Williams Jewelry to close after 102 years

CAROUSELciJewelry

For 102 years, Williams Jewelry has been a gem in the Bloomington community.

Mark Thoma has worked in the store for 50 years. Now, he has decided
to close its doors.

Ed Williams founded the store in 1911, and Don Thoma bought the store in 1953 after Williams died.

For more than 50 years, Williams Jewelry has been operated and run by the Thoma family and for the past 20 years by Mark Thoma, who took over the business after his father Don retired. Don Thoma kept the name Williams Jewelry to continue its reputation.

A store-closing sale started Thursday and will end Christmas Eve.

“I’ve worked so hard for 50 years to make it a really good name, and I didn’t want to sell it to somebody who might change that reputation,” Thoma said. “We’ve worked hard to have the reputation we have, and I want to take it with me.”

Thoma said his kids all have their own careers, and he doesn’t have anyone to take over the business, which is the main reason he is closing.

“This is my 50th year,” Thoma said. “That was kind of my goal, to reach this milestone. If nobody in the family was interested in taking it over, then basically just shut it down.”

Thoma said loyal customers have been calling him to express their disappointment, but most everybody is happy for him and have wished him well for the future.

Thoma has emphasized the customer service and friendliness aspect of the business since he took over.

“I’m going to miss the people, I mean, there’s no doubt about that. I’ve made so many friends over the years,” Thoma said. “Bloomington and south central Indiana have been so good to us over the years, but it’s time. The years are flying by and time is flying by, and I’ve got to slow it down a little.”

Thoma said he plans to relax, spend time with his family and work on projects.
“My experience has been absolutely wonderful,” Karen Bennett, who has been an employee for almost nine years at Williams Jewelry, said. “To work with Mark has truly been a learning experience. I’ve learned so much from him just from his passion, his honesty, integrity in the way he conducts his business and in the way he treats his customers and everyone in general.”

Bennett said she understands Thoma’s reason for closing and said he needs to spend time with his family.

“We all understand. It’s going to be very sad though because we’ve made so many friends through customers and just not being able to see them on a daily or weekly basis is going to be hard,” Bennett said. 

Bennett said the way Thoma has conducted business has made Williams Jewelry different from other jewelry stores.

“He’s such a smart business man and the longevity of this store, being in business for as long as it has, it’s a true testament to the way he has conducted business over the years,” Bennett said. “Bloomington is really going to miss this store.”

Follow reporter Alli Friedman on Twitter @afreedz.