“The game is afoot” in favorite Sherlock Holmes mysteries

It’s elementary.

Sherlock Holmes has captured readers’ attention since the moment Arthur Conan Doyle released his introductory adventure, “A Study in Scarlet.”

The experimental chemist, violin enthusiast and heroin user has starred in countless novel retellings, movie adaptations and television programs.

Most recently, Holmes has appeared in two highly grossing films featuring Robert Downey, Jr., as well as two television series, “Sherlock” on PBS Masterpiece and “Elementary” on CBS. 

We just can’t seem to get enough of the brilliant detective.

In honor of that fascination, my column this week focuses on some of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories.

Whether you’re a die-hard fan or a first time Conan Doyle reader, you’ll enjoy solving these mind-wracking mysteries along with detective fiction’s most famous sleuth, his steadfast partner Dr. John Watson and the rest of the 221B Baker Street crew.

“The Adventure of the Speckled Band”

A locked room, an unexplainable death and a damsel in distress. This is the first Sherlock Holmes mystery I was introduced to, and I’m not embarrassed to admit it gave 8-year-old me nightmares.

“A Scandal in Bohemia”

A tale of blackmail that introduces “the woman” — the one woman of interest to Sherlock Homes and the one person to ever get the better of the famous detective — American opera singer Irene Adler.

Though she only appears in this one story, Adler is actually one of my favorite characters in the Sherlock Holmes stories. She takes the often-conceited Holmes down a peg by using his own methods against him.  

“The Adventure of the Redheaded League”

Gingers galore. A league for only red-haired people is linked to a bank robbery, and it’s up to Holmes to solve the case.

“The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual”

Holmes searches for a missing butler, a crazy maid and a hidden treasure linked to King Charles I of England in this adventure tale.

Fans of “National Treasure” and similar movies will really enjoy this one. Holmes must solve the case by deciphering a cryptic riddle written by his forefathers.

“The Final Problem”

Holmes faces his most famous enemy, Professor Moriarty, in a final showdown over a waterfall.

Conan Doyle intended this mystery to be Sherlock Holmes’ last, but readers protests led to a resurrection of the detective for many more adventures.

­— jenfagan@indiana.edu

Follow columnist Jenna Fagan on Twitter @jenna_faganIDS.