Q&A with Wisconsin football reporter discusses matchup with IU

In advance of the IU football team’s Saturday game against Wisconsin, the IDS spoke with the Badger Herald’s Sean Zak.

IDS
Has there been a culture change in Wisconsin’s football program in Gary Andersen’s first season as head coach, or has he kept the same winning formula of a strong defense and power rushing attack that has worked for the Badgers in the past?

Zak While the Badgers may look the same in running the football and controlling the clock, Gary Andersen and his staff have definitely instilled a different mindset within the team. The playbook that offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig has brought in is designed to utilize Wisconsin’s best playmakers — Melvin Gordon, James White, Jared Abbrederis and even Corey Clement. While the formula might seem very much the same, this team looks for the big play much more than in the past.

IDS How has quarterback Joel Stave handled taking control of Wisconsin’s offense this year after splitting time with two other quarterbacks as a redshirt freshman last season?

Zak
Stave was again facing a quarterback competition in fall camp and during the season has done exactly what has been expected of him by handing the ball off to UW’s running backs and not taking UW out of football games with turnovers. While he has averaged about one interception per game, he has been good enough in each game to keep people from widely calling for his job. Nonetheless, his play has consistently left fans asking for more.

IDS
IU Coach Kevin Wilson said Wisconsin linebacker Chris Borland might be the best player in the Big Ten. What does Borland do that makes him so effective on defense?

Zak
He very well might be. Borland really does it all for UW’s defense, seen by his 13 tackles and two sacks last weekend against BYU. He’s quick enough to spot running backs and tight ends in pass coverage, but his biggest asset is in the run game.

Borland just naturally finds his way to the football and is Wisconsin’s best run-stuffing linebacker. Of the top five best hits from Wisconsin’s defense, Borland’s might just claim all five.

IDS
What kind of problems can Wisconsin’s defensive line and linebackers create for an IU offense that has sustained several injuries to starters on its offensive line and at running back?

Zak
Considering IU’s second back, Stephen Houston, isn’t a slouch or seemingly much of a drop off, the biggest battle for Indiana might be in the trenches. Wisconsin’s front seven is incredibly experienced, starting six seniors and one junior.

Defensive coordinator Dave Aranda flirts around with aggressive and passive looks from the 3-4 scheme all game, but the three linemen, centered by all-Big Ten nose tackle Beau Allen, consistently open lanes for linebackers like Borland and roving strong safety Michael Caputo. If Aranda sees inexperience or a weakness on the Indiana line, expect plenty of blitzing Saturday afternoon.

IDS Wisconsin has a recent history of defeating IU by large margins (the Badgers have outscored the Hoosiers 204-41 in the past three seasons). Do you see that trend continuing on Saturday, or will IU make it a competitive matchup?

Zak
While Wisconsin has certainly had no problem scoring on the Hoosiers in the past, they likely haven’t faced an Indiana offense as successful as this one.

Wisconsin’s defense is successful at times, but have coughed up points to other explosive offenses like Ohio State, Arizona State and Illinois. As a 21-point favorite, Wisconsin is expected to win big, but with an opposing offense that can put points on the board as well, don’t expect a super wide margin like the 83-20 finish we saw a few years ago.

Follow reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittryIDS.