Q&A with Ohio State football reporter

In advance of the IU football team’s Saturday game against Ohio State, the Indiana Daily Student exchanged questions and answers with the Lantern’s Eric Seger.

IDS Ohio State has won 22 straight games and is undefeated under Urban Meyer. Did anybody think this kind of success would occur so fast under Meyer’s regime?

SEGER
I can’t really speak for anybody else who covers Ohio State or are fans of the Buckeyes, but I do know that when Meyer was hired, it did bring an excitement to campus and athletics.

I think mostly it was because of the 6-7 season the year before, which is something that Buckeye Nation was not used to. Meyer’s track record prior to being coach at OSU is pretty outstanding with the two national titles at Florida, so I think it’s safe to say fans were excited with his arrival.

IDS
With Michigan next week, how likely is it Ohio State will overlook the Hoosiers? What is the perception of IU on campus?

SEGER
Even though OSU beat Illinois by 25 last week, the mood in the locker room and post game press conference was a bit dejected because the team (and Meyer) did not think they played their best.

That having been said, and based off everything the players and coaches have said this week, it does not appear that they will overlook Indiana.

Especially since it is Senior Day at Ohio Stadium, all the seniors we have spoken to this week said their mindset is leaving Ohio Stadium with a victory.

IDS
How does QB Braxton Miller look compared to former Buckeye QBs such as Terrelle Pryor and Troy Smith? Is there more or less hype/excitement around him?

SEGER
Miller’s development has been visibly apparent since he started two years ago as a freshman. His work with Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach Tom Herman has been lauded by Meyer in press conferences. He is confident and has been playing well this year when healthy.

I’m not sure if there is more hype around him necessarily, but being an OSU quarterback comes with a lot of expectations. Injuries have kind of derailed his Heisman chances, but a skilled Buckeye quarterback will always be expected to get recognition.

IDS
Besides a 3-point aberration against Wisconsin, IU has scored 28 points in all of their games. Will Ohio State’s defense be smothering like Wisconsin’s, or will it allow IU to score as Illinois was able to last week?

SEGER
OSU’s defense was ravaged by injuries against Illinois. A pair of starting linebackers, Joshua Perry and Curtis Grant, did not play because they were hurt, and defensive end Joey Bosa left the game with a neck injury midway through.

Indiana has a solid passing attack and put up 49 against OSU last year, a game where a former fullback (Zach Boren) had to play linebacker. Meyer said there are a lot of players on defense they are expecting to get back this week, so they should be better, and according to Co-Defensive Coordinator Everett Withers and Meyer, they will play better this week.

IDS
What is your prediction for Saturday’s game, with a score?

SEGER
Ohio State 56, Indiana 14.

Follow football reporter Evan Hoopfer on Twitter @EvanHoopfer