IU Dance Marathon kicks off Friday

IU will begin its 23rd annual IU Dance Marathon on Friday, commencing a 36-hour no sitting, no sleeping event to raise money for the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center at Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health. The event will take place from 8 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Sunday in the Indoor Tennis Center.

“We raised just over 2.1 million dollars last year and 14 million since we started in 1991,” IUDM Public Relations director, Nick Kolar said. “We hope to always exceed what we made last year, but there’s no firm expectation. Nobody knows how much we’ve raised so far, so it’s a surprise for the whole organization.”

More than 2,400 dancers raised the minimum $500 to participate in this year’s event. The Riley child patients will also be attending the event. IUDM will offer a bounce house, video games and other activities for the kids to participate in.

Kolar said hearing the stories of the Riley kids is one of the most memorable parts of IUDM.

“A lot of the kids, a few in particular, told me that this is their second favorite day of the year after Christmas, so they really enjoy it,” Kolar said.

Dancers will learn a line dance, compete in a basketball tournament and other games, listen to Riley families share their stories and watch a talent show featuring Riley patients. Students will participate in several events prepared by the entertainment committee.

“We have a rave at hour 22 when everyone is completely sleep deprived,” IUDM Director of Merchandising & Apparel Laura Swartz said. “There will be so many bands that will be performing. The entertainment committee did a really great job with that.”

Through all these events, the most memorable part of the evening, both Swartz and Kolar said, will be when the total amount of money raised during 2013 is finally revealed.

“The most exciting part of the marathon is the end when we reveal how much we’ve raised during the previous year,” Kolar said. “It’s a great culmination of all the hard work we’ve put in. That’s usually a really exciting, emotional thing.”

More than 920 committee members will work this year’s event, feeding dancers, running security and preparing the Indoor Tennis Center.

Since its establishment in 1991, IUDM has become the nation’s second-largest student run philanthropic organization. If anyone would like to donate, they can do so at iudm.org.

“This is really a great opportunity to celebrate what we’ve been working on,” Swartz said. “I love the total reveal. I love getting to be with my committee and my sisters and my friends, but nothing compares to getting to see those families.”

Follow reporter Torie Schumacher on Twitter @shoe_torie.