student life

Group messaging app donates to IUDM

Quad is a new app changing the way students connect with one another.

The group texting app is similar to GroupMe but was created specifically for college students, Matthew Murphy, founder of the app and CEO of the California-based company, Appsurdity Inc., said.

“Quad allows any person on campus to join a group by simply downloading the app,” Murphy said.

The app is able to connect groups of 50 to 200 people in one group message, or “quad.”

Facebook and other apps require students to know each other’s phone numbers before they connect, said IU sophomore and Quad ambassador Jennifer Vasko, but Quad does not. 

When the app is downloaded, a student signs in either through Facebook or creates an account.

Users can find friends or groups either through searching or allowing the app to connect to their contacts.

Each quad or user is given a pin to ensure privacy and keep the quad’s messages secure, Murphy said.

Since the app launched Sept. 6, Quad quickly began catching buzz around multiple college campuses.

Quad made its debut on the IU campus three weeks ago after Vasko decided to create a Quad for IU Dance Marathon, Quad marketing manager Shawn Matthew said.

“I thought making a Quad for IUDM would be a good way for people to learn more about IUDM and Quad,” Vasko said.

Shortly after Vasko got Quad started on campus for IUDM, she helped work with the company to launch a competition on Oct. 30 with Vasko’s lead, Murphy said.

Quad representatives will be donating $4,000 to IUDM in the name of the top three groups who create quads and get the most points.

The winning groups will receive funds to benefit IUDM and the Riley Hospital for Children.

The winner will get a $2,500 donation, runner-up will receive $1,000 and third place will get $500 based on the contest website.

“Launching the competition to IU was a great way to get the word out more about Quad and challenge campus organizations such as IUDM or greek houses to get as many votes as they can to win money for IUDM,” Murphy said.

Today is the last day to vote in the competition.

To vote students must register their organization’s quad by entering the quad pin number or searching for a pre-registered organization from the list, which includes several fraternities and sororities.

Each new user vote is worth 10 points, Murphy said.

“Quad is just adding to what they are already doing in support for a great cause,” Murphy said.

In addition to helping raise funds, Quad also helps connect students for social and academic purposes.

“This is an app that also helps students connect to one another from classes and provides an easier way to chat with other classmates about assignments,” Murphy said.

Vasko said he is working to get the word out about Quad.

“I am knocking on greek house doors and telling my classmates in class about it,” Vasko said.

Junior ambassador Jeff Miley just joined the Quad team and said he is excited to tell others about the app.

“I think this is a great app to help IU students connect to each other and organizations,” Miley said.

Follow reporter Angela Hawkins on Twitter @angelalhawkins.