Former National Park worker talks relationship of outdoor recreation and race

caFearn

In order to promote a healthy society, one must look through both an environmental and social lens, a former National Park Service official said.

Mickey Fearn, former National Park Service Deputy Director for Communications and Community, gave a speech Monday exploring outdoor recreation participation among African-American students at IU.

The lecture took place as part of Race in Place, a week of inaugural events exploring complex issues related to outdoor recreation participation among African-American students at IU.

Fearn served as the keynote speaker.

During his 46-year career in public service, Fearn has been connecting populations to national and urban parks.

Fearn said society’s racial and ethnic history has shaped how individuals view and use natural treasures and state parks.

“Diversity is the most unique characteristic that the U.S. has over any other country,” Fearn said. “It is a word that I hope everyone can stop using.”

He discussed how people can judge the quality of a civilization through the condition of the children, the elderly, the environment and society’s use of free time.

Fearn said many lessons can still be learned by looking back on the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.

He said he wants others to recognize the continued importance of diverse programs and services.

“The problem with modern-day society and race and diversity is that we don’t look at it fully like most other things,” Fearn said.

One of the students who helped organize Fearn’s talk, IU junior Maryellen Schmalzried, helped promote Race in Place.

“This week-long event is meant to advocate outdoor recreation amongst Black and African American students at IU,” Schmalzried said.

The team of students and staff will offer half-day outings this week for student groups that involve hiking, rock climbing and an overnight camp at Bradford Woods Nov. 16-17. 

Race in Place is sponsored by the IU School of Public Health, the Department of Recreation and IU Outdoor Adventures. Additional sponsorship was provided by the Indiana Memorial Union, the Office of Diversity Education, the Diversity Leadership Conference, the Eppley Institute and Bradford Woods.

Dustin Smucker, the IMU’s Leisure Program Coordinator and one of the members in charge of Race in Place, said he hopes this event will help guide students to get more involved and connected with the environment.

“Our hope is that an IU campus group that engages in diverse students will select and participate in outgoings that inspire diverse students to appreciate the qualities and benefits of recreation in the natural world and help develop a cohort of diverse students engage with the natural world,” Smucker said.