Column: Hoosiers must start converting on free throws

As with a young team, IU faced a crossroads just two games into the regular
season.

During a 73-72 survival of LIU Brooklyn at Assembly Hall last week, IU Coach Tom Crean’s squad was anything but efficient offensively, converting only 27 of its 71 total field goal attempts.

Shooting 38 percent from the field nearly cost the Hoosiers dearly, as they haven’t lost a nonconference home game since a 71-67 loss to Boston University on Nov. 20, 2009.

While worrisome in the moment, IU experienced an offensive rejuvenation during the course of the weekend, earning victories against Samford (105-59) and Stony Brook (90-74).

In total, the Hoosiers were a combined 63-of-117 from the field, which translates to 54 percent shooting. In a comparative view, it was a night and day difference from the team’s abysmal offensive outing against the Blackbirds of LIU Brooklyn.

So, what exactly was the remedy?

“This game, we tried to get an inside presence early,” sophomore point guard Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell said following IU’s victory against Samford. “We were looking more inside-out.”

It was a welcome change after the Hoosiers were consistently content settling for three-point jumpers against LIU Brooklyn. They knocked in just seven of their 26 attempts from beyond the arc.

Attacking the rim continues to be a cornerstone of Crean’s offensive philosophy, which, with these Hoosiers, means quick entry passes to freshman center Noah Vonleh on the block.

The approach allows Vonleh and his cohorts to earn trips to the foul line, an aspect of the game that Stony Brook coach Steve Pikiell wasn’t exactly enthused about.

“Our key to the game was to not get beat on the foul line, and obviously that didn’t happen,” Pikiell said. “We did not do a good job of keeping them off the foul line. They were averaging 37 free-throw attempts coming in, which I believe is leading the country after three games, and tonight we helped them with 49 trips to the foul line.”

While getting to the charity stripe that often is an overwhelming positive for Crean and Co., a massive concern exists with efficiently maximizing those opportunities. The Hoosiers shot a combined 63 percent from the free throw line against Samford and Stony Brook.

Failing to convert on a grander stage — say against Washington at Madison Square Garden on Thursday evening — will eventually nip the Hoosiers in the rear.

“I’d be far more concerned if we weren’t getting the attempts,” the sixth-year head coach said. “Forty-nine attempts? We’ll take those. It’s every foul you get, you’re making it a little bit harder for that team, and you’re climbing into the depth.”

However, Crean understands that with time, his team will improve at the line.

“The bottom line is we’re better than that,” Crean said. “We’ll be better than that. And we’ll continue to work on it the way we have.”

Should the dismal performance at the foul line prove to be a hiccup rather than an ongoing problem, the Hoosiers’ trip to New York City may be enjoyable, though a persistence of misses will doom them.

Only time will tell.

­— ckillore@indiana.edu
Follow men's basketball columnist Connor Killoren on Twitter @IDS_CGKilloren.