student life

Center provides online workshops

The Student Academic center is now providing online help courses to assist students in a variety of subjects outside the classroom.

Called “Click to Succeed,” these programs are formatted for easy use by students.
“In the past, only in-person workshops were offered.” academic coordinator Anthony Guest-Scott said. “We wanted to adjust that set format that students have had for so long, so we turned to online.”

The workshops are available in video and audio form, ranging from 20 to 25 minutes in length. This allows students to watch two to three videos in an hour and get assistance.

For maximum accessibility, these services can be found on YouTube, in podcast form or on a mobile app, as well as at sac.indiana.edu.

“The goal of the workshops is to reach students in a different way than we are able to reach in some other services,” Guest-Scott said.

The online workshops are an ongoing series. The Student Academic Center is hoping to produce about four videos per semester, said Kyla Cox, director of public relations and community outreach within the office of the vice provost for undergraduate education.

The mobility and flexibility of these online services are an alternative to the academic support centers located in residence halls in each campus neighborhood.

“This is a way to engage that is nearly impossible to replicate,” Guest-Scott said.
Each episode is broken into individual segments allowing the videos to be fairly digestible. Students can leave feedback on each episode through the website’s blog.
“The content for these programs are related to students no matter what they are studying,” Cox said. 

As of the last maintenance report of the website, the site has received almost 600  views and 369 video streams.

The Student Academic Center offers free services, such as statistics seminars, and tutoring on subjects students tend to struggle with, such as math and economics.
As the end of the semester approaches, Cox said, these online services could still be useful to all students.

Each course is topic-specific, and the quizzes, tests and exams episode, for example, will be applicable at the end of the semester. Time management is also a common issue.

Four episodes were released this past fall and four more will be released this spring. In order to improve these programs, both Guest-Scott and Cox said they believe qualitative student feedback is needed.

“By adding many dimensions to the content, we hope to be able to reach the maximum amount of students,” Cox said.