‘100+ Women’ donates money

A Monroe County non-profit composed of more than 100 women supporting active nonprofit agencies in the community announced they will issue donations to the Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington.

Members of the organization, 100+ Women Who Care, gathered at Bloomington Country Club on Wednesday to hear from members of local nonprofit organizations.
Representatives from three nonprofit organizations were randomly selected to speak for seven minutes about their organization and why 100+ Women Who Care members should vote for them.

Representatives from People and Animals Learning Services, Meals on Wheels and the Boys and Girls Club were those selected to speak. After the presentations and a group vote, the Boys and Girls Club received the most votes and a $100 gift from each member of 100+ Women Who Care.

Carol Maloney, coordinator for 100+ Women Who Care, said since the organization has grown from 81 to 200 members, initial awards of $8,100 have increased to $20,000, which is the most recent donation.

“It’s taken on a far greater identity, and without a doubt, it’s just an opportunity for women in Monroe County to show how much they care together, which then allows us to have impact,” Maloney said. “People that are in it are excited.”

100+ Women Who Care began in November 2011, and members meet four times a year. Each member must also make one additional gift of $100 per year to the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County, a partner of 100+ Women Who Care.

“The idea of bringing a group of women together and officially and effectively working together to make impact was the original intent,” said Tina Peterson, president and CEO of Community Foundation. “I think we’ve struck on a nerve here. Women appreciate the opportunity to be directly engaged with the giving decisions and to do it collaboratively.”

Melissa Carter-Goodman, a long-time resident of Bloomington who has attended a few sessions of 100+ Women Who Care, said the organization is the power of women supporting the community.

“It’s a quick, easy and effective way to really contribute to the community,” Carter-Goodman said. “In an hour you make this huge impact, and the power of 200 hundred women doing that is just really impressive.”

Follow reporter Alli Friedman on Twitter @afreedz.