Working for the seal of approval

Working for the seal of approval

Mental health needs to be a top concern on college campuses.

It’s a necessity that universities across the nation must consider in order to appeal to prospective and current students.

Which is why it’s disappointing to see IU is not among the top 30 schools given the mental health care seal of approval by the Jed Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing suicide among college students throughout the country.

From incoming freshman new to the collegiate lifestyle to outgoing seniors about to face the trials of the “real world,” college has the potential to be the most stressful years of your life.

Given the endless amount of responsibilities college students have in school, jobs and their newfound independence from their families, it’s no surprise that most mental health issues come to light between the ages of 18 and 25.

Now, this is not to say that IU doesn’t have a workable mental health care system in place.

Counseling and Psychological Services at the IU Health Center offer two free sessions a semester to students who have paid their health fee.

The IU Student Association created Culture of Care to highlight the encouragement of safety and security for the Bloomington community in regard to issues like sexual assault, drug or alcohol abuse and mental health issues.

But this simply is not enough.

While the two free CAPS sessions are a solid start, it’s a little naive to assume two sessions is sufficient in helping someone going through a hard time regarding his or her mental state.

It also seems like an easy marketing tool for CAPS. A way to show they’re doing a little something as opposed to nothing.

The truth is many college students already struggle enough financially and cannot afford weekly counseling.

It may come at a cost to the school, but CAPS and IU need to reevaluate the ways in which they can treat IU students without burdening finances any further.

Similarly, IUSA’s Culture of Care is a great movement that needs to be expanded. We can’t just have one Culture of Care Week a year. Every week needs to be Culture of Care Week at IU.

IU needs to constantly educate students about recognizing mental health issues, the dangers of sexual assault and drug or alcohol abuse.

The ability to identify these problems is the first step in treating the issue, not merely subsidizing the symptoms.

The Editorial Board believes IU has the means to achieve the Jed Foundation’s seal of approval for mental health.

IU is already off to a concrete start. It’s just going to take the continuous and joint efforts of the administration, CAPS and IUSA to make our school a top choice for mental health care.

­— opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Opinion Desk on Twitter @ids_opinion.