student life

ROTC cadets take flight

ROTC Training

The cadets could hear them, but they couldn’t see them. 

The “birds” hummed in the distance as they approached the grassy landing zone. 

Cadets stood ready, adjusting their rucksacks and ear protection, looking to the sky to catch the first glimpse of the Black Hawk helicopters they would soon ride for the first time.

The Black Hawk aircraft orientation Friday morning was the first in a series of weekend training events for IU Army ROTC cadets. The Field Training Exercises, conducted by ROTC once each semester, provide cadets an opportunity to apply the skills they have learned and participate in an in-depth and focused training experience, senior and cadet Ben Krebs said.

ROTC members would usually spend the FTX weekend training at Camp Atterbury near Edinburgh, Ind., but because of the federal shutdown, the training was moved to IU’s cross country fields and Bloomington Police Department shooting range. 

The sound of the propellers became louder on the cross country course, and the gusts of wind became more powerful. 

Just above the trees, three Black Hawks appeared and in seconds floated down to the landing zone. 

The cadets took 15-minute flights in three helicopters over Bloomington and back to the landing zone at the cross country course.  

Members of the Indiana National Guard 1-137 Combat Aviation Brigade, who were also in training, flew the Black Hawk helicopters.  

The cadets were assigned to “chalks,” or groups, and oriented with basic safety before boarding the helicopters.

As the groups approached the Black Hawks, the pilot told each cadet to keep one hand on the shoulder of the cadet in front of them for safety purposes.  

It was sophomore Nick Walker’s first time in a Black Hawk helicopter, he said. The aircraft orientation was a new experience for many of the first- and second-year cadets.  

Cadet Nathan Eubanks, a sophomore, said it was a smooth ride and not as loud as he expected.

“It was nice seeing Bloomington from the air,” Eubanks said.

The three-day training weekend is run by senior cadets and supervised by the cadre, which are the military instructors. All cadets undergo the first day of training together, but then are separated based on year.

The freshman cadets focus on team-building exercises, while the juniors are evaluated on their leadership skills, Krebs said. 

Following the aircraft orientation, first- and second-year cadets participated in a Field Leadership Reaction Course, which tests response strategies and tactical skills.  
The FLRC was also a chance to build leadership skills, cadet and sophomore Jack Sprinkle said.

“A cadet will be put in a leadership position, and they’re going to have to make decisions,” Sprinkle said. “It is a lot of team building and realizing what you need to do as a leader.”

Third-year cadets and the ROTC Ranger Challenge team participated in training exercises at the Bloomington Police Department shooting range. 

Cadet Tyler Sykes is a junior and member of the Ranger Challenge Team.

“We’re conducting basic marksmanship training to familiarize ourselves and become proficient with the military standard rifle, which is a M16 or an M4,” Sykes said.

The Ranger Challenge Team is training to represent the IU Army ROTC program at the Bold Warrior Challenge, a regional ROTC competition with a national qualifier in
November.

Other FTX weekend events included tactical training, referred to as Situational Training Exercises, land navigation training and paintball, Krebs said. 

Cadet and sophomore Sam Sittler said ROTC events like the FTX have not only helped his training skills, but have also helped him create new friendships. 

“It’s a lot of fun,” Sittler said. “It’s kind of tough sometimes, but you look back on it and all you remember are the good parts.”

Follow reporter Rachel Rapp on Twitter @rachrapp517.