Noon Talk highlights Emilio Sanchez

Cuban-American artist Emilio Sanchez focused on bright colors, distinct shapes and the relationship between light and shadow in the artwork he created throughout his career.   

The result: vibrancy and simplicity in his depictions of international architecture.

Assistant Professor Anke Birkenmaier emphasized these features during her interactive lecture “Emilio Sanchez’s Visions of Light: Caribbean Architecture Reimagined” Wednesday for the IU Art Museum’s first Noon Talk of the semester.

The talk, which also took place to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month and the 40th anniversary of La Casa, honed in on Sanchez’s life in the 20th century and offered an interpretation of his six pieces at the museum. 

Birkenmaier initiated the conversation with a brief biography, explaining Sanchez was born into one of the richest sugar families in Cuba in 1921 and moved to the United States to receive an education.

It wasn’t until he finished his schooling at the university level that he discovered his passion for painting, Birkenmaier said.

At that point, he settled into a studio in New York City and traveled to the Caribbean islands for inspiration in the winter. 

She said he developed his architectural representations based on photos and sketches he made during these trips.  

“Of course, they must be inspired by the nostalgia of a home he never had,” Birkenmaier said.

This concept, however, is contradicted by Sanchez’s choice to live abroad and make the U.S. his home rather than residing in Cuba, she said.

Birkenmaier went on to dissect the trends apparent in Sanchez’s paintings through the years and their greater significance. His play on light and shadow, for example, perhaps suggests a connection to a modernistic style, she said.

The majority of his work can be categorized as realism, though, which proved to be a factor in the lack of critical reception of his work, Birkenmaier said. “Realism is not really a category that sold well in the late 20th century, and I think that’s a lot of why he doesn’t sell well himself,” she said.   

The lecture concluded with a brief commentary session from the audience and Birkenmaier sharing her thoughts about the techniques Sanchez employed.

For Tamara Mitchell and Alysa Schroff, Ph.D. students focusing on Spanish and Portuguese literature, the lecture allowed them to explore a topic pertinent to their studies, as well as the relationship between immigration and artistic movements.

“Seeing realist representations outside of literature is really fruitful,” Mitchell said.  

Follow reporter Kourtney Liepelt on Twitter @KourtneyLiepelt.