Sudfeld, IU fall short in shoot-out

spFootball

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tre Roberson started under center for the second consecutive game, but it was sophomore quarterback Nate Sudfeld who carried the Hoosiers’ offense in IU’s 41-35 loss to Navy on Saturday night.

IU started the game with a three-and-out and a turnover on downs on its first two possessions. After the Midshipmen jumped out to an early 14-0 lead, Sudfeld took over on offense.

He led IU on a 12-play, 63-yard drive, but threw an interception at Navy’s 3-yard line.
“After that,” Sudfeld said, “I felt that I got into a rhythm, and our offense was kind of clicking.”

IU scored on five of its next six possessions. The only drive in which the Hoosiers failed to reach the end zone was when Sudfeld took a knee with six seconds left in the first half.

For the night, Sudfeld completed 31 of his 42 pass attempts for 363 yards and four touchdowns. While he’s known for his big arm more than his athleticism, the Modesto, Calif., native kept plays alive with his feet.

Sudfeld led the team in rushing with 35 yards on six carries.

Redshirt senior tight end Ted Bolser said Sudfeld is a fantastic quarterback.

“He is going to be one of the best in the business,” Bolser said. “I love him back there.”

Navy led 17-0 halfway through the second quarter, but IU climbed back to within one touchdown of the Midshipmen late in the game.

“I was proud of the guys’ effort,” he said. “We were in the game the whole time. No one stopped believing the entire game.”

With only half the fourth quarter remaining and the Hoosiers down 13 points, Sudfeld ignited a 14-play, 76-yard drive that ended with him throwing a jump ball to Bolser in the back of the end zone.

“We knew we still had a chance,” Sudfeld said. “Just scrambled on that one and saw Ted get a little bit open, and I was going to throw him a little alley-oop dunk.”

Bolser said Sudfeld trusts him, and his quarterback threw him a great ball.

“I wanted to get it high to him and give him a chance,” Sudfeld said. “I knew if we got the ball back we would have a pretty good chance to score.”

Sudfeld said IU Coach Kevin Wilson often compares the mindset of IU’s offense to that of professional golfer Tiger Woods when Woods is putting.

“Tiger Woods goes to every putt expecting his opponent to make it,” Sudfeld said. “We can’t hope for our defense to make a stop.

“We had to score every single drive to give ourselves a chance, and we did a lot of that after that interception, but we still dug ourselves a little bit of a hole, and we weren’t able to finish.”

Follow reporter Andy Wittry on Twitter @AndyWittryIDS.