To parent or to ban books?

Public libraries don’t exactly scream controversy worthy of protest. After all, their quiet halls and reading corners offer solace to readers of all ages.

But after decades of attempts at censorship and bans on books, you would think individuals or groups have given up trying to remove literature deemed “uncouth” from the shelves.

An Indianapolis woman is attempting to do just that after her 9-year-old grandson inadvertently checked out “Night Games” by Crystal Jordan from the West Indianapolis Branch Library.

The book in question is, unsurprisingly, erotic and sexually graphic in nature. Although it’s unconfirmed at this point, no one would be stunned to learn the cover probably features Fabio and his long, silky locks gripping a damsel in some strong yet graceful pose.

But like I said, that’s just an educated guess.

The point is this most likely isn’t a book most parents and guardians would want their young children checking out from the library to read by flashlight under the covers.

Unfortunately, instead of exercising their power and responsibility as caretakers and deciding for themselves what their children should or should not read, too many adults take it up with the powers and attempt to ban the book for everyone.

Because surely if one child is barred from reading a piece of literature, every child should face the same fate, right?

This case in Indianapolis is one occurrence, but how often do we hear of the classic works of literature being banned from American bookshelves?

The American Library Association holds a Banned Books Week. This year’s is next month, Sept. 22-28.  

Last year, Banned Books Week celebrated its 30th anniversary. It has grown into a first-rate example of the backlash censorship can create, and the community it fosters to protect freedom of speech and the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Famous authors like Stephen Chbosky, the writer of the frequently banned “The Perks of Being a Wallflower,” join together with private individuals in a “Virtual Read-Out!” celebrating the importance of expressing and sharing ideas through literature.

The ALA also keeps a list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books by Decade.
From 2000 through 2009, the Harry Potter series by noted British goddess J.K. Rowling topped the list. It is downright ironic the most challenged book series of the last 10 years is likely the reason a majority of young readers pick up books in the first place.

Although it’s unlikely Crystal Jordan’s “Night Games” is comparable to the Harry Potter series or any other challenged piece of classic literature, the principle remains the same.

To ban one book from the shelves is to ban any book from the shelves.
The library is a public domain in which any reader should be allowed to explore its halls and discover the joy and creativity reading can foster.

Although some literature may not yet be appropriate for some young readers, that level of maturity is up to parents and guardians to determine in the privacy of their homes and not in the halls of our public libraries.

You can ban whatever you like in your house, but leave the public library alone.

­— Opinion@idsnews.com
Follow the Opinion Desk on Twitter @IDS_Opinion.