New donation spots at local stores

By setting up donation drop-off spots at every Bloomingfoods, Kroger, O’Malia’s and Walmart throughout Bloomington, Monroe County United Ministries expanded collection for its Emergency Food Pantry and childcare program.

MCUM organized its eighth annual “Each One, Feed One” Community Food Drive last Friday-Sunday,collecting donations ranging from non-perishable food items to hygiene and cleaning products.

According to the organization’s mission statement, the MCUM is “a nurturing organization serving working families and those in distress by assisting with emergency needs and subsidized childcare.”

The MCUM also offers emergency services,which include a voucher program that sells discounted essential house items and clothing, a rent and utility fund to assist family homes from disconnection or eviction and a cleaning/clothing closet that distributes cleaning and hygiene products as well as new underwear, socks and diapers.

Carol Peterman,  a member of the board of directors for the MCUM, said donations increased over the weekend, with the most popular donations being canned foods and toilet paper.

Participants passed out fliers listing the most commonly requested items.

“A lot of people this year have been looking at the fliers, which helps us collect the things that are really needed,” Peterman said.

The food items most in need this year were canned meat and vegetables, soup and fruit.

Peterman volunteered for her fourth year and said these donations will help serve locals in need for the months to come and are a substantial factor in keeping the
MCUM’s programs in operation.

Volunteer Edna Clark also participated for a fourth consecutive year.

“They’ve done a lot of pickups throughout each day,” Clark said. “People are even bringing items from their homes in perfectly good condition and donating them.”

In addition to the food drive, the MCUM accepts donations at its emergency pantry year round,8 a.m.- 4 p.m., Monday-Friday and is always accepting applications for volunteers. Those interested can contact the organization directly at 812-339-3429.