Local mosquitoes carrying West Nile

Mosquito

Mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus have been discovered by the Monroe County Health Department.

A pool of mosquito samples from Monroe County, which was collected and sent to the Indiana State Department of Health laboratory, tested positive for West Nile, according to a press release.

However, there are no confirmed human cases in Monroe County.

Amy Reel, public affairs director for the Indiana State Department of Health, said the only confirmed human case of West Nile for the 2013 season was reported in Ripley County.

Reel also said mosquitoes carrying West Nile have been found in 35 counties throughout Indiana.

Mosquitoes with West Nile breed in places such as ditches, discarded tires, birdbaths and clogged roof gutters, according to the release.  

“You can help protect your family and community from West Nile Virus by eliminating areas of standing water available for mosquito breeding in or near your property,” Simeon Baker, environment health specialist and manager of Monroe County’s mosquito surveillance program, said in the release.

West Nile is transmitted to humans by mosquitoes that have bitten infected birds. A person bitten by infected mosquitoes may show symptoms from three to 15 days after the bite. Most people who become infected with the virus will experience mild to no symptoms, according to the release.

Few individuals will have a more severe form of the disease including encephalitis or meningitis. Those over 50 years old are at a higher risk for serious illness, according to the release.

There is no specific treatment for West Nile, and no vaccine is available for humans.
People who experience the following symptoms should see a doctor immediately: high fever, severe headache, neck stiffness, muscle weakness or paralysis, nausea, vomiting, sore joints or confusion.

Matt Stefanski