Not-so-'Blessed'

Blessed Unrest

First impressions aren’t always the most accurate, as is the case with Sara Bareilles’s third album “Blessed Unrest.”

Bareilles released the energetic single “Brave,” a song in which she urges society to be courageous, while epitomizing catchiness. The song also serves as the opening track of the album, but doesn’t accurately foreshadow what follows.

It’s evident Bareilles infused “Brave” with peppiness in hopes of a top single — not because it corresponds with an overarching album theme or sound. The rest of the album features jazzy ballads. Not one of the songs sounds much like another.

This juxtaposition of differing sounds and styles is nothing new for Bareilles, though, as her premiere album “Little Voice” was one that featured both top hit “Love Song,” as well as the pained plea “Gravity.” While this worked for Bareilles on past albums, this lack of cohesion hinders the album’s memorability.

At times, Bareilles’s lyrics suffer from triteness, such as “life is not meant to be wasted” in “Chasing The Sun.” But where she excels is songs that display her ability to coo jazzy melodies, such as “Manhattan.”

However, fans of Bareilles and general listeners alike will find this album enjoyable. It’s easy to listen to, it doesn’t try to do too much and it follows the style of her preceding albums.

And there’s something to be said about that.