Lawsuit filed by Spierer’s parents

Robert and Charlene Spierer, parents of missing IU student Lauren Spierer, filed a civil negligence lawsuit against Corey Rossman, Jason Rosenbaum and Michael Beth on June 26 citing “negligence resulting in the disappearance, death or injury of an adult child.”

The Spierers filed additional charges against Rossman and Rosenbaum, seeking damages for providing alcohol to Lauren Spierer, who was already intoxicated at the time.

“Rob and Charlene Spierer authorized the filing of this lawsuit with great reluctance and only after we counseled them that they would lose certain legal rights if not exercised by the two-year anniversary of Lauren’s disappearance,” a statement by Jason R. Barclay, the Spierers’ attorney, said. 

Barclay and his team said they hoped no one would misinterpret this action, as “any parent in search of information about a missing child would use every resource available to them.”

Lauren Spierer has been missing since June 3, 2011. After a night of drinking at fellow students’ apartments and Kilroy’s Sports Bar on North Walnut Street, Spierer was last seen at approximately 4:30 a.m. by Rosenbaum. 

Beth said he tried to persuade Spierer to stay on his couch and that Rosenbaum tried to get mutual friends to take her home. After acknowledging he let Spierer leave, Rosenbaum said he saw her walk away and is the last known person to see her.

Spierer’s boyfriend, Jesse Wolff, reported Spierer missing on the afternoon of June 3, 2011. 

The statement from Barclay and his team said they intend to use the rights afforded to them by the civil justice system to obtain answers they said have gone unanswered for too long.