'Gifted' better than holiday fruitcake

The Gifted

Fresh on the heels of new releases from J. Cole and Kanye West comes another new album from a big-name rapper.

D.C.-area star Wale’s “The Gifted” is a follow-up to his sophomore release “Ambition,” which spawned mixed reviews from critics.

This album blends fast-paced, high-energy tracks with others that are more toned down and soulful, and in the style of Cole and Drake, doesn’t hesitate to take on more emotional themes.

While the title track of “Ambition” took on the realities and the dark side of life in the city and broken dreams, every other track on the album stuck with catchy anthems centered on girls, confidence and fame.

Not so on “The Gifted,” although that’s not to say hints of “Ambition” can’t be found on the new release.

The intro, “Curse of the Gifted,” consists of the sounds of Wale lighting and inhaling a joint and easing into his tracks with a short rap about his preferred vices and the establishment of his presence: “Satisfaction’s for suckers / And y’all don’t even gotta love us / But you better respect this motherfucking hustle.”

“Bad,” which has two versions on the album, one with Tiara Thomas and one with Rihanna, celebrates a woman who’s uncommitted and cold but honest about what she wants. “I can’t promise I’ll be good to you ... but at least I can admit that I’ll be bad,” wails the femme fatale hook. Thomas’ version is slower, while Rihanna’s is predictably catchier and oozes with appeal, but both are sexy and refreshingly real.

“Gullible” insightfully addresses the relationship between society, government and the media, accompanied by an infectious guitar hook, a boogie melody and quality vocals from Cee-Lo Green.

“Rotation” featuring Wiz Khalifa and 2 Chainz is an ode to a night spent partying and passing blunts.

Wale also brings back collaborators from his sophomore album in “Tired of Dreaming” with Ne-Yo and Rick Ross and “Heaven’s Afternoon” with Meek Mill. “Tired of Dreaming” pays tribute to unrequited love, while “Heaven’s Afternoon” looks back on the improbability of their success. Wale has hinted at a mix tape with Meek Mill later this year.

“Clappers” featuring Nicki Minaj and Juicy J is perhaps the least insightful track on the album, but it’s a fun club banger that honors women with junk in the trunk, and thus will probably find its way to mainstream hip-hop charts in no time.

Juicy J and Nicki Minaj’s respective raps are impressive and clever, rounding out the track.

“The Gifted,” half introspection and half party, remains fluid and addictive throughout with more soul than his previous efforts.