administration

Breithaupt appointed interim Honors dean

Fritz Breithaupt, professor of Germanic studies, adjunct professor in comparative literature and affiliated professor of cognitive science  in the College of Arts and Sciences, has been appointed by Provost Lauren Robel as interim dean of the Hutton Honors College, according to a press release.

Breithaupt will serve as interim dean during the search for a permanent dean, which will occur this fall. His appointment was approved today by the IU Board of Trustees and will take effect July 1.

“Fritz has been a stalwart champion of the Hutton Honors College and its faculty,” Robel said in the release.

“He brings not only his record as an exemplary scholar and teacher but also his success as director of the West European Studies Institute and co-founder of the European Union Center for academic excellence at IU. I am delighted that he is willing to serve as interim dean of this extraordinary honors college.”

Breithaupt will succeed Matthew Auer, a professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, who has served as dean of the Hutton Honors College since 2008.

Auer has been named dean of the faculty and vice president of academic affairs at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.

An IU faculty member since 1996, Breithaupt has been acting director of several institutes, such as the Center for Eighteenth-Century Studies, in addition to directing the West European Studies Institute and co-founding the EU Center, according to the release.

He has also published four books, co-edited four volumes and published about 40 full-length articles.

– Makenzie Holland