'13' not always unlucky

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath is back, and all guns are blazing.

The “godfathers of metal” (sans original drummer Bill Ward) spared no effort on their 19th studio album, “13,” released on Monday.

The album kicks off with a bang on the opening track “End of the Beginning” and is relentless in its pummeling thereon after. The lead single, “God Is Dead?” is one of the most valiant numbers on the album, circling down the classic Black Sabbath-style tri-tonage and a loud, catchy chorus that climaxes with Tony Iommi’s ripping solo that proves 65 years of age, two missing fingertips and lymphoma from just six months prior doesn’t stop a veritable guitar legend from making musical magic.

“13” seems to be a stomp in the face to metal nowadays, showing to the younger bands how it’s really done. No crazy down-tuning or incomprehensible screaming or growling required. This is how metal should be.

The music is characteristic of Black Sabbath, very typical of the 1970s and 80s, yet stays relevant.

The album gives the listener a slight breather with the melancholy, atmospheric “Zeitgeist.” The number shows off that Sabbath can be great music without being as aggressive and loud as the band typically is, and how the rest of the album is. “Live Forever” is another gem on the album, sprinting through its ride-heavy drums and showcasing even more Iommi soloing.

“13” truly is not without its flaws, however. It’s not that one or two specific songs on the album are clearly subpar to the others. It’s just that the band fails to give each song, save for a couple, a very distinct flavor. Per classic metal tradition, the songs are long and repetitive — which can be done to perfection a la Metallica’s 1986 “Master of Puppets” — but perfection is not achieved here.

At the end of the day, though, “13” is an album that is wholly worth hearing and jamming out to. You’re not going to hear most of the songs on the radio. This isn’t like the latest pop album in which two-thirds of it will eventually end up in single form. No — most of the songs here clock in at the seven to eight minute range, and the style is simply too aggressive for heavy airtime. Teenagers will not be going in hordes to their local music piracy website to download this one and it probably won’t top many charts.

But that shouldn’t stop you from giving it a chance. This music is balls-to-the-wall, pounding, loud fun. Join the other 45-year-old guys who are going to Best Buy to pick up the physical CD of “13”. Just because metal’s not popular anymore doesn’t mean there isn’t some really great stuff here.