Preparation is key to boating safety this summer

Last month, a life jacket likely saved Robert Gilliland’s life.

The 69-year-old Bloomington resident was thrown from a boat in Lake Monroe after the vessel hit something underwater. Conservation officers attributed his survival in part to his life jacket.

Now, with summer here and people spending days out on Indiana’s lakes, a life jacket is one of the precautions experts say every boater should take.

“Most people don’t like to wear the jackets because they feel they’re uncomfortable or they feel they’re not particularly stylish,” said Bob Kessler, a School of Public Health lecturer who teaches a course in boating safety.

The number of open water drownings in the state has increased in recent years, reaching 47 last year, said Lt. Bill Browne of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.

Nationwide, in more than half of boating accident deaths last year, victims were not wearing life jackets, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Coast Guard.

Indiana law requires that life jackets be onboard a boat, but do not require that people wear them, Browne said.

“Not wearing them and only throwing them under the seats is legal, but it doesn’t make you any more safe,” he said. “There’s a public opinion that they want to make those decisions on their own. We’re just trying to get information out there.”
But life jackets aren’t the only key to safety on the water. Kessler said it’s particularly important to be aware of other boaters and swimmers.

“We see tragedies occur because they’re following tubers too close,” he said. “They’re running into other boaters and swimmers and people, so that’s probably first and foremost.”

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources recommends one passenger serve as an observer whenever a boat is towing a tuber or skier to ensure safety. He also suggested taking the time to become familiar with a boat before using it.

“Whether it’s the boat you’ve owned for a couple seasons or if it’s a rental boat or if it’s a friend’s boat, make sure you take time doing slow maneuvering, learning how to back the boat properly, how to spin your boat 360 degrees in a small area,” Kessler said.

“These small maneuvers will help you with docking and putting your boat back on the trailer. These are probably the most stressful times.”

There are a number of resources for those who aren’t familiar with power boats or want to learn more. Kessler teaches a course through the School of Public Health, I374: Keelboat and Powerboat Safety, which includes classroom teaching and hands-on boating experience.

The U.S. Powerboating Association and United States Power Squadrons also offer online courses. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources has an official course at inhea.com and additional resources on its law enforcement website, in.gov/dnr/lawenfor.

Regardless of how much preparation goes into a day on the water, problems can still occur. State conservation officers patrol waterways to ensure laws are followed and help in times of crisis.

Kessler also made some basic recommendations for trying to avoid collisions and managing unexpectedly rough weather.

“In the vast majority of situations, the best choice is going to be to slow down,” he said. “Unfortunately, sometimes people will take the opposite reaction and think, ‘I’ve got to get out of here fast,’ and gun the engine.”

Moving too fast limits maneuverability and decreases reaction times, he said. Most importantly, though, Kessler tells his students to think.

“Do not let your enthusiasm for an activity override your common sense,” he said.

The Customer Service Center offers DNR licenses, permits and maps. The center is at 402 West Washington Street, Room W160A in Indianapolis and is open 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: (317) 232-4200 or (877) 463-6367.

Also, visit the Department of Natural Resource’s website at in.gov/dnr.