Spring Series recap

Qualifications

Seniority reigned supreme for men’s qualifications, as Beta Theta Pi won pole position with its four senior riders. Beta finished .297 seconds ahead of the second-place Black Key Bulls. Defending Little 500 champion Delta Tau Delta finished 13th on the day, while 11-time champion Cutters placed 10th.

Kappa Kappa Gamma finished first in qualifications after placing seventh in the event last year. The sorority’s time of 2:42.54 was nearly two seconds better than the second-place Wing It’s. Defending Little 500 champion Delta Gamma finished fourth with a time of 2:44.64.

Individual Time Trials

After falling three spots short of the top ITT time in 2012, Cutters rider Kevin Depasse found redemption this year in beating teammate Timothy Nixon by .15 seconds.

Her time got .36 seconds worse from last year, but Kathleen Chelminiak of Kappa Alpha Theta was able to repeat as the women’s ITT champion. She is now the third consecutive repeat champion in the event. Teter owned the day as a trio, however, with its top three riders finishing 10th or better.

Miss-N-Out

The dynamic duo of Kevin Depasse and Timothy Nixon struck again as the two Cutters riders followed up their 1-2 finish, respectively, at ITTs with another at Miss-N-Out. The other riders to make it to the finals were Beta Theta Pi’s Eric Anderson and Will Kragie, Sigma Chi’s Brian Arfmann and Sigma Nu’s Brice Brookshire.

For the second straight year, the women’s Miss-N-Out final came down to Kappa Alpha Theta’s Kathleen Chelminiak and Delta Gamma’s Kayce Doogs. Doogs got her revenge for last year’s loss and beat out Chelminiak. Teter’s Lisa Hutcheson and Emma Caughlin, Wing It’s Melissa Moeller and Kappa Delta’s Lauren Kohut rounded out the remainder of the finalists.

Team Pursuit

While both Beta Theta Pi and Cutters improved their times from the first round to the finals, Beta proved to be more dominant. Its time of 8:49.7 was 14 seconds better and was the first performance under nine minutes since 2005. This was Beta’s first win in Team Pursuit. But Cutters clinched the Spring Series championship and the white jersey that comes with it on race day.

Teter also clinched the white jersey but did so before the finals of the women’s Team Pursuit. The team didn’t back off in the end and beat Delta Gamma by four seconds with a time of 8:20.11. Teter has now won Team Pursuit four times in a row and six overall. Had Delta Gamma won, it would have been its first victory since 2001, the only time the team has won Team Pursuit.