Kinane returns to the Comedy Attic

Kyle Kinane, “the voice of Comedy Central,” will return to the Comedy Attic for his fourth year in a row at 8 p.m today and will perform through Saturday at 8 p.m and 10:30 p.m.

Take a cue from some of Bloomington’s comedy connoisseurs: it’s a performance you won’t want to miss.

“There’s a reason why he’s one of the most sought-after comedians,” Comedy Attic owner Jared Thompson said. “He has sharp, poignant cultural commentary, but he’s just as critical of himself. It’s a difficult line for most comedians to walk.”

If you haven’t seen Kinane, chances are you’ve at least heard his voice. Kinane has been the voice behind Comedy Central’s episode segues since 2011. Whether it’s South Park or a new stand-up special, Kinane introduces it all.

“He has a very specific voice,” Thompson said. “Comedians will do impressions of Kinane, and, especially to a smart crowd like Bloomington, people will immediately know who it is.”

In addition to his work with Comedy Central, Kinane has opened for entertainers such as Conan O’Brien and for comedians like Patton Oswalt. His debut album, “Death of the Party,” received critical acclaim.

Local comedian Josh Cocks has featured for Kinane in previous shows at the Comedy Attic. This weekend, he’ll be the host.

“I normally feature, but since he’s one of my favorite comedians, I wanted to work with him in any capacity,” Cocks said. “He has an incredible amount of material. He writes so much and relates so well to the audience. There is a very dumb and endearing logic to his jokes.”

Not one to shy away from political and social commentary, Kinane is just as quick to point out his own faults as he is with the faults of society.

“It’s done in a very smart, observational way,” Cocks said. “He has this joke about how maybe not everyone should be allowed to vote. But that’s because he can vote, and not everyone wants him making decisions.”

Cocks describes Kinane as “a comedian’s comedian” and said without a doubt that Kinane will be one of the biggest comedians in the country before his career is done.
“He writes so much new material that he’s always at the top of everyone’s lists,” Cocks said. “He’s very highly regarded in the comedy world. He has such a strong following that you won’t be able to avoid him for long.”

Thompson said this won’t be the last time Kinane performs in Bloomington, but that you shouldn’t make that an excuse to not check him out this weekend.
“One day, when he’s as big as Louis C.K., you’ll be able to say that you once saw him for $10,” Thompson said. “If you don’t come this weekend, shame on you, but he will be back.”