Kid Cudi's new album doesn't quite cut it

Indicud: Album Art

“Indicud,” an exercise in solo production, lacks the personality from Kid Cudi’s first two albums, but it has beautiful moments.

I replayed “The Resurrection of Scott Mescudi” immediately after hearing it the first time. This and the album’s other two instrumentals (“New York Rage Fest” and “The Flight of the Moon Man”) are strong narratives. The rapper creates vivid, spooky sceneries using sound alone, continuing his voyage through space. For me, “New York Rage Fest” produces the image of a militia marching through a lollipop carnival. “The Resurrection of Scott Mescudi” feels like swinging your arms in slow motion through the ocean — in a good way.

The production is amateur at times, but the rapper should receive credit for his commitment to evolution. Despite his forward progression, however, “Indicud” generally explores tired hip-hop staples: ego parades, odes to bitches and crews, etc. Songs that begin strongly are quickly bogged down by repetitive and imitative lyrics and auditory movements. “Girls” is probably the most grating example.

The rapper’s vulnerable, hazy perspective livens up the many dull moments on the album. Aided by a droning robot chorus, he explores the recurring theme of self-medication in “Just What I Am.” There are sharp lines and bits of insight throughout the album, but “Solo Dolo II” probably showcases the smartest of them.

The singing is obviously done best by the featured guests, especially Haim on “Red Eye.” Kid Cudi’s off-key, off-kilter voice aids some songs (“Cold-Blooded” in particular) but ruins others. Often his delivery oscillates into a disturbing arena, especially in creepy anthems like “Young Lady.” His enthusiasm is admirable, but fans should probably encourage him to stop singing.

What’s missing from this album that worked so well on the last is a cohesive narrative. I’m a big fan of the way each song cuts off the previous number, of these abrupt shifts in sound and thought, but these musings never really come together.

The album, overall, demonstrates Kid Cudi’s talent and vision. It both fascinates and disappoints. Many tracks are easily avoidable, but this production effort is valuable and promises great things from a rapper who continues to develop his range.