sports volleyball

IU moves away from culture of losing during offseason

IU volleyball has gone a combined 5-34 in Big Ten play in its last two seasons.

That culture of losing is over, IU Coach Sherry Dunbar said.

“The culture, I think, is different in the gym right now,” Dunbar said. “It’s a competitive culture in the gym right now ... I just think the environment overall is just way better.”

IU volleyball is in the midst of its everyday spring practices and will pick up with its season in the fall.

One key addition to the program has been sophomore middle blocker Awele Nwaeze, who has brought something different to the gym, Dunbar said.

“Physically, she’s gifted,” Dunbar said. “And I think she challenges every hitter and every blocker to be better. And in the end I think it’s making her better, too. I think she’s a great addition.”

The sophomore transferred from the University of Miami (Florida) last year and thoroughly enjoys the new change of scenery, she said.

“Miami was a really small private school, and I was looking for a change,” Nwaeze said. “And for volleyball, Big Ten is where it’s at.”

Nwaeze also appreciates the level of care and detail she gets from each and every one of her coaches, she said.

“The coaches are so invested in our program, and it’s way more than I could even expect,” Nwaeze said. “They are invested not only in your playing but your life.”

The Raleigh, N.C., native brings a level of competitiveness to other players, which is vital to the team’s overall success.

“She just pushes everyone on this team to be better,” junior defensive specialist Melanie Hicks said. “People in her position, she challenges them, but it’s not like a negative challenge. She’s made them better.”

Unlike during the fall season, IU does not have a game to look forward to every weekend to keep up motivation.

However, throughout the spring, the team plays several exhibition matches, and it uses those as a measuring stick to see where they are against other competition, Hicks said.

Her coach added that this team is different and does not need extra motivation from the coaches to work hard.

“Normally I would say yes, but I would say no this year,” Dunbar said. “Because of where we want to go and the path we’re on, it’s very clear where we want to go.”

During the first part of the spring season, the team focuses more on the individual with drills tailored to a specific person. Now, members are able to practice as a team.

“This is our opportunity to show we aren’t the same Indiana volleyball that we were last year,” Nwaeze said. “We have the fight and the true notion to be contenders.”

Looking forward to summer practice, Hicks said keeping up the intensity is vital for the team’s success.

“What’s important is maintaining that level of play we’re getting and not letting it drop off,” Hicks said. “We have to make sure we’re just as ready and don’t take a step backwards.”