BRE'S PEEVES: A fashion farewell

It’s here. Like years before it, the last week of school has snuck up on us.

It feels like only yesterday we were enjoying the first tailgate of the year, Bloomington’s beloved fall transformation and the beginning of a much-hyped Hoosier basketball season.

Now we’re selling back our textbooks, making plans to see friends one last time before classes end and if you’re a senior like me, apartment searching in the new city you’ll soon call home.

Getting dressed in the summer should be easy: a breezy sundress, khakis with a polo and the beloved flip flop. It’s usually hard to go wrong in the summer, but you’d be surprised where people, specifically Hoosiers, can go wrong.

Jean shorts are hit or miss; too short, tight, or the wrong wash for your complexion and you’ve turned a casual outfit into a complete disaster.

Also, keep the venue in mind. Weddings, religious services and any occasion that is not explicitly casual are all places to avoid wearing jean shorts.

Heading into the city from the pool or lake? Feel free to put on a cover up. Bikini tops and swimming trunks are not appropriate substitutions for any article of clothing.

Bre’s Peeves has been an honor for me to write. After semesters of recounting the fashion horrors I’d observed on campus to my roommates and friends, it was both a thrill and a scare to share beyond my circle of friends.

If you laughed at least once, I consider my column a success. Should my column have inspired you to reflect inward and perhaps alter part of your wardrobe, consider yourself a success.

As your last few days in Bloomington for this school year, or possibly ever, wind down, enjoy them. Take time to visit with friends, eat at your favorite local restaurant and visit the Farmer’s Market one last time. While doing this, however, make sure you look appropriate.

Shoes should fit the weather, leggings should not be opaque, clothes should be clean and all articles of clothing should be wrinkle-free.

Just because my column has come to a close does not mean that my judgment or comments will. Happy summer, Hoosiers.

­— johnsbri@indiana.edu