4th presidential intern selected

caIntern

IU has named Catherine Krege as its fourth presidential intern. Her internship began early this spring and focused on providing a student-driven perspective on recruitment and engagement in IU’s School of Global and International Studies, according to a press release. She will give her final presentation to President Michael McRobbie in May.

“He is very interested in the student perspective,” Krege said.

She’s been meeting with department heads to see what they want for their students, as well as producing surveys and holding focus groups to gather student input. She will be holding another one soon to help further determine actions to recommend to the
president.

“I am deeply committed to the success of the exciting new School of Global and International Studies, and I am delighted that Catherine has agreed to serve the University in this important capacity,” McRobbie said in the release. “As a student who is extremely engaged in the International Studies Department and related activities, Catherine brings to the position exceptional academic credentials and an infectious enthusiasm about the enormous possibilities the new school will present for IU students.”

Krege is a sophomore from Carmel, Ind. studying international studies and Spanish and pursuing a minor in political science. This semester, she’s juggled 17 credit hours and another internship with the Political and Civic Engagement program in the College of Arts and Sciences. After finishing up her work as the presidential intern, she will leave for Australia in June for study abroad and an undetermined internship, she said. In the fall, she will be interning in Washington D.C. through the SPEA Washington Leadership program.

She was recommended for the position by the College Dean Larry Singell after having worked on the Dean’s Advisory Board.

“I’m really glad (SGIS) is staying in the College,” she said. “It allows for lots of perspective and is really interdisciplinary.”

She noted the intense focus on culture and language the College provides, but said that SGIS is diversifying to include more than just an academic focus.

“We hope to cater to newer needs,” she said. “With events like 9/11 and terrorist events happening, it’s important to have diplomats. But you also need that deep understanding of language and culture.”